Greener grass?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
PackOfDusters

Greener grass?

Post by PackOfDusters »

In the spirit of not doing Sydenham down I thought I'd point out this thread on SE23.com:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10386

Poor old Sydenham is always getting compared (unfavourably) to the likes of ED and Forest Hill, but some people in se23 actually like our high street! Ok, so perhaps it is a case of the grass always being greener, but I do think (some) people on this forum could appreciate Sydenham more for what does have - lots of useful, if not particularly attractive shops - rather than bemoaning what it lacks.
Pally

Re: Greener grass?

Post by Pally »

Nice to see positives about Sydenham! Thanks. ....btw Fresh and Fruity vegs is great too!
PackOfDusters

Post by PackOfDusters »

With Fresh and Fruity, Billings, Well Being, PFC, The Coop and Lidl I rarely need to go anywhere else to buy food. And it works out cheaper than when I lived nearer to Forest Hill and did most of my food shopping in Sainsbos.

I really do appreciate having so many good shops so close by, and would be really peeved to have any of them close and be replaced by a twee gift shop/cafe with a beautiful frontage :evil:
Pally

Post by Pally »

I tend to agree. Some ok cafes there already or coming soon! A nice cheese shop/ deli would be quite nice maybe?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

PackOfDusters wrote:I really do appreciate having so many good shops so close by, and would be really peeved to have any of them close and be replaced by a twee gift shop/cafe with a beautiful frontage :evil:
An excellent point. I suspect that the nail bars, bookies, pound shops [1] and fast food joints sometimes blind forum members to the excellent range of retail outlets which are also present on the High Street. My wife and I seldom need to venture further afield to get what we want.

Regards
Chris
[1] I class Musti's as a general store, not a pound shop.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Pally wrote:I tend to agree. Some ok cafes there already or coming soon! A nice cheese shop/ deli would be quite nice maybe?
Billings now sell some tasty cheese. And cold meats. And help-yourself olives. Pretty soon they'll need a bigger shop!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Actually that's a good point. Yes the way they are going they will need a bigger shop ....or take over one of the empty or grotty ones and extend their lovely goodies!