#ChristmasBookPresents

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tim Lund

#ChristmasBookPresents

Post by Tim Lund »

I think this tweet from Sydenham Community Library deserves a bit more publicity

So this is what I got
I'm about one third of the way through the first. As well as enjoying the pre-history, I'm thinking about how anthropology relates to other social sciences ...
Eagle

Re: #ChristmasBookPresents

Post by Eagle »

Happy New Year Tim

I thought I would come back on simply non controversial issues. Leave HB to his untruths.

Interesting selection of books. First two especially so.

I do hope you purchased your items in The Sydenham Bookshop or another High Street Bookshop.. I am sure you would not contemplate dealing with the tax evader and shop worker destroyer. I think you know whom I refer.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Probably most from Kirkdale, but I can't really say, since they were what people bought for me as surprises.

This is the café, so not the place to say anything negative about HB. So he annoyed me by calling me a market fundamentalist, but he's a good guy. If you want to pursue the point, over to the pub.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Tim

I will not mention his good name again .

Best wishes
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I was given a facsimile copy of the 1863 Bradshaw's Guide as used by Michael Portillo in 'Great British Railway Journeys'. Since my wife Mary and I both watch the program, it was a welcome present.

Regards
Chris
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Edward O. Wilson. The Meaning of Human Existence.(I've always wondered.) I've started this. Evolutionary biology. Interesting, but quite a challenging read.
Anthony King and Ivor Crewe. The Blunders of Our Governments.
Sarah Coakley. God, Sexuality and the Self: An Essay 'On the Trinity.' From my daughter - haven't looked it yet, but I assume it's chick lit.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

two cookery books. both with recipes for breadmakers, and a book all about cider, perry and mead.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I've now finished The Horse, The Wheel and Language - if I'm allowed to leave out the appendices.

It had it's difficult moments - at least three times the details of successive late neolithic and early bronze age cultures had me putting it down and actually falling asleep, but that might also be down to having a cold, and giving up caffeine. As the NYT reviewer puts it, "parts of the book will be penetrable only by scholars".

STF readers may have similar responses as over coming weeks aspects of a new appreciation for anthropology emerge on other threads, but let's leave that for now.