Donation of toys to local children???

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ruby

Donation of toys to local children???

Post by Ruby »

Hi.
Is anyone aware of any local children's charities/ churches/ groups that donate used toys(very good condition) to local children/families(at their homes).

I am specifically wanting somewhere that knows of local children that could benefit from some good quality toys. I would rather they go to a family or individual child then to donate to a local hospital/playgroup etc.

This is only as I know most groups often receive toys in abundance or have some funds to purchase. There are children out there that might not have any/many toys at home and a group may know of a specific child that would desperately love a dolls pram etc.

Many thanks.
mosy

Re: Donation of toys to local children???

Post by mosy »

The LB Lewisham Toy Library in Catford, just off Rushey Green in Rosenthal Road, lend toys in the way libraries lend books: http://www.lewishamtoylibrary.org.uk/in ... page_id=45

As children get bored with toys quickly, the library is ideal for ringing the changes regularly or to find out if a toy is a "keeper" that'd be worth buying.

If they don't take toys in, they might know who does (apart from hospitals, doctors' surgeries etc) - maybe a social services department?
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh yes, I didn't think of contacting social services or the toy library( sure start). I will give them a call later in the week. Thanks.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Ruby wrote:Oh yes, I didn't think of contacting social services or the toy library( sure start). I will give them a call later in the week. Thanks.
Toy library is brilliant!
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Ruby, I will be interested to hear what you find out as I also have some good quality toys that I would happily donate. Thanks.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Just a brief update.

I called Lewisham social services and they do not give toys to families/children or know of any organisations that do.

They also suggested to call the toy library to see if they could be of help but there was no response when I tried.

I will call the toy library again next week.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Did you note from the Toy Library website that their open hours are very limited?

I imagine there could be reasons why organisations don't give out toys, e.g. can't give toys to all families so can't be seen as a right to receive any, or perhaps other children in a family will want to know why they didn't get a toy etc.

Why don't you want to give them to hospitals or playgroups? That's what I did, or at least my child did, and not really under duress lol if explained that they would help other children so trying to instil generosity/compassion (probably more a self-congratulatory feel-good at that age) rather than selfishness.

Maybe charity shops serve the purpose of redistributing the best being the place where mums/dads would look. I'd go round boot sales. Not sure any mum/dad sits at home waiting to receive things do they? and some, however hard up, turn their nose up at secondhand things anyway.

It's a funny old world.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Hi.
I did not look at the toy library website, I just called the number that was given to me by social services.
I have nothing against donating toys to charity shops/ playgroups etc as they go to a good cause and are enjoyed by children.
It may appear that i will just have to give toys to them as I did not perceive the difficulties in wanting to give them to a family or children's home in need.
I know that all children benefit greatly from having their own individual toys at home to play with. Many families do not access playgroups etc due to possible mental health issues etc.
Charity shops are great but some people can not afford to buy the toys on a whim as they can be very expensive still.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi Ruby

Have you tried contacting a local Lewisham Young Carers office to ask what age group they deal with. Maybe they could run a fun compitition to make it fair as to what young carer gets the toys and all the kids might enjoy taking part.

Here's the info for the Forest Hill office. I'm not sure if they have a base in Sydenham.

Waldram Place
Forest Hill
SE23 2LB

Tel - 020 8699 8686

It's the small road on the right before the traffic lights at The CoOp on Stanstead Road.

Hope this helps and hope you find a good home for the toys.

After posting this another thought has just came to me. There is a rehab centre in FH and I know they are planning a family funday which means some of the clients must have kids. I'm more than happy to try and get you a contact name and number on my way to work tomorrow if they are open.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Thanks. I'll try calling the young carers service.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi Ruby and Susie1791

I managed to get contact details for the rehab centre. I popped in on my way home tonight to ask if they would accept toys for individual kids to have as their own and the person I spoke to said they would welcome it.

These kids probably would benefit more than most so here's the number 020 8314 5566 this may be the main Lewisham number but they have an outlet on Dartmouth Road and I asked if they could be dropped off there and was told yes. Feel free to mention I popped in tonight to get info to pass on to you as I made them aware of this post.

Hope this helps

Pauline
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Fantastic, thank you Pauline, I will give them a call and drop off some toys next week :-)
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Thats great news Susie1791 These kids will probably benefit more than most from having their own toys TYSM :)