Zip repair

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sparticus

Zip repair

Post by sparticus »

I need a zip replaced in a waterproof jacket. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Maria

Re: Zip repair

Post by Maria »

Yes, the dry cleaners in Westow Hill in C Palace has a tailor working for them who is amazing and had done all sorts of near impossible things for us including exactly what you are after.

Having twice responded to you for other requests of contacts and not received a single acknowledgment or thank you I don't expect one now either... and the worry is that it appears we are neighbours so I am hoping never to discover who in our lovely community could do with a glimpse of gratitude (or manners)

good luck
Pally

Post by Pally »

Aplanda in Sydenham high street does good repairs including zips
mosy

Post by mosy »

If the zip itself is broken, you might need to source a replacement zip yourself. By all means ask the mender as some can be fixed if they've just come out of their housing.

If a new zip is necessary, John Lewis sells sport zips in a few colours and varying lengths: http://www.johnlewis.com/opti-open-end- ... lour=White

Edit PS: Locally, the Curtain Shop (opposite the post office near the pocket square) sell haberdashery and will order things, so could ask if they could order a new zip for you if needed.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Thanks, helpful. Maria- this is a forum. I sometimes post a thank you, sometimes I don't. When I respond to a requests for information I don't expect a personal expression of gratitude. If it's not freely given its not worth having.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Yes, this is a Forum (?) – where people feel in no way obliged but are almost invariably eager to acknowledge the kindness of strangers.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Maria, to be fair, it's common to say TIA (thanks in advance) or just thanks in the opening post, so it's already said at the outset that replies will be appreciated. Indeed, on some forums people get annoyed because it wastes readers' time to open posts which just say thanks, hence some have a thanks button to avoid that time waster. I'm on that side of the fence. Although it would be great to hear how people do resolve problems, I've no doubt some will be upset if their advice wasn't taken, so perhaps best to leave well alone, i.e. loop back to time-wasting "thanks" only. Rock and a hard place.

I'm now guilty of adding nothing useful. So, as I've mended and replaced lots of zips, sometimes an alternative can be to replace with press studs, the sort inserted like rivets (no sewing required). They're easy due to being like a mini stapler. They are also shown on the John Lewis website, but being a relatively bog standard haberdashery item should be easy to find as zip variables like colour, weight, length are irrelevant.