Replacing garden fence; my responsibility or neighbour's?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
KM

Replacing garden fence; my responsibility or neighbour's?

Post by KM »

A fence is falling down in my garden, but not sure if it is mine or my neighbour's (on the end of the terrace) responsibility to replace it.
Am I right in thinking there is no law as to who owns the fence? You just agree together?
We replaced the fence on the other side only recently, so would be miffed if we had to fork out money again.
Shaunj72

Re: Replacing garden fence; my responsibility or neighbour's

Post by Shaunj72 »

It's often specified in the deeds and will generally be one boundary or the other (you are responsible for).

In my experience it's often the right hand boundary as you look at the front, but not always.

Have you asked your neighbours?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Convention says you put the 'fair' side of the fence panel towards your neighbours. So you own the fence you can see the back of.

Doesn't work in for me, though, as ALL the panels around my garden face away. We maintain the fence on the left (facing towards the house) and our neighbours the one on the right. This was established before we bought the house, as the previous owners replaced the left-hand and rear fences. If you have neighbours that have been there longer than you, it can be worth asking.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

What's in your title deeds? Ours are very clear about who's is who's
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I am an bed of terrace so assume I look after the end fence, right of property, so my neighbour has the other. Deeds not clear. However fence falling down last year and we shared cost and also decision on height, design etc which was important to me.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We had an issue with this, but the other properties are Hyde, a housing association. If you have to deal with them, then good luck! We had all sorts or problems, they lied, saying that they didn't fix fencing (despite them mending a neighbours fence a few days before) and one of their workmen, (who also complained about them) saying that they did fix fencing.

Our deeds don't say who is responsible for the fence but it's generally accepted (at least in my road according to neighbours who had lived there far longer than I) that it's the rear right one as you look at the property and at the front it's the left.

Good luck.
GemStone

Post by GemStone »

Hello
My son's fence went over last year. He was in the same boat as you. However, he spoke to his neighbour and together they contributed towards the repair. Maybe you could try too?

Jim