AirBnB

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
JRobinson

AirBnB

Post by JRobinson »

as I understand it, it's illegal in London, to rent out your property for periods of less than 3 months (without appropriate planning permission), and so therefore letting your room via sites like AirBnB is also illegal.

a quick search on their website shows 583 rentals available in Lewisham. I'd be amazed if all of these have the appropriate planning permission required.

If you do rent out a spare room, you're supposed to inform your insurer, and your mortgage company of this, or you risk voiding the policy should something go wrong. And as mentioned theres the issue of planning permission being granted (presumably for change of use to BnB from purely residential)

On the one hand, the site works well, and finds affordable places to stay for short periods of time in rooms that otherwise would go unused.
on the other hand the poeple letting out the rooms might be doing so illegally.

Should Lewisham be following up on all these cases? and taking action where necessary?
are the people renting rooms declaring the income to HMRC? is this another form of tax evasion/avoidance?
If people are claiming a single person occupancy reduction in council tax, but renting the spare room - should Lewisham take action?

What do you all think?
Rachael

Re: AirBnB

Post by Rachael »

A quick google search shows that those laws are due to be reformed to make schemes like AirBnB legal in London and no one currently breaking that law will be pursued for it.

As for avoidance of tax, some may well be guilty. Is it worth chasing them, or should HMRC be focusing their attention on the real big evaders? It's the latter for me.
maestro

Post by maestro »

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

yes Rachael - due to be reformed, but not yet reformed.
hence the questions - it is currently illegal, should it be legalised?
is the change to the regulations a good idea?
what will it do the amount of housing available?

If you want to rent out a room, you'll still need to contact mortgage and insurance providers, and HMRC to declare any extra income.
wen

Post by wen »

Interesting about how that'll affect airbnb. I'm with Rachael on this - I'd rather HMRC pursues the big tax evaders vs someone renting out a room!

Plus there's the rent a room scheme with HMRC which might apply to some of these landlords https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-ho ... oom-scheme
multisync

Post by multisync »

JRobinson, are you employed byHMRC or retired from there employ?
Whatever the reason leave these people alone,re:tax evasion and go for the big fish, who are doing it and getting away with it.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I let out rooms via the airbnb platform. From my perspective It is a great way to meet people from all over the world; we've had visitors from as far as Alaska in one direction and Australia in the other and many places in between. I would not be letting my spare rooms permanently if I did not work with Airbnb, they would remain empty so I am not impacting on the housing shortage.
From a 'local economy' point of view its a positive thing. Most of the people who stay with us have never been to this area of London before and are very surprised and pleased when they get here. They love the parks, the convenience of the High Street and the restaurants (Gurka's especially has had had rave reviews from a least two sets of visitors) and I am always sure to steer them to local places, I have maps and reviews of local eateries on the website and printed off.
The money earned is a bonus, but no great shakes and it is hard work, when we're busy my washing machine is never off and we are on a constant roll of hoovering, wiping and making beds - we're certainly not in it for the money. We are allowed to earn 4,250 gbp (or thereabouts) under the 'rent a room scheme' before tax and if I ever hit that mark I will be certainly declaring it to the tax office.
Its a positive thing for the local economy, the money I earn is inevitably spent eating out in this area.

S
Maria

Post by Maria »

I have your home very much in mind Savvy: there is an almost continuous stream of family and friends from Scotland and abroad coming to stay and at times there is just not enough room. Will be in touch - and yes, I do know what an incredibly amount of work it is involved in what you do...
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

You are very welcome Maria, we do have visitors with family members in the area too. Our house is very handy as a place to come back and relax after a hectic Christmas Day (or whatever the occasion) with the Grandchildren / Nieces and Nephews. People really appreciate a good nights sleep and a lazy morning !
Maria

Post by Maria »

Oh - and I forgot to say: it looks wonderfully warm and welcoming - I had a look at the pictures..... Such a lovely home!