Domestic waste collection - can you help?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
danstevens

Domestic waste collection - can you help?

Post by danstevens »

I have been clearing out my house and loft and have a range of waste that i need to dispose of. I have and old washing machine, and old steel heater cylindar, and old small shed (in bits) mantal piece and a range of other junk.

I've been ringing around some waste clearance companies and have been getting quotes circa £200 to come and collect the rubbish.

I'm willing pay £100 cash for the items to be collected. Please private message me if you're interested. I live off Kirkdale in Sydenham.

thanks

Dan.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hello. The council will collect - at a cost - so might be worth checking out their charges against commercial ones also? The trouble is that commercial firms have to pay tipping fees, which does put up their prices to much more than just their own job rates. HTH

Also, it might be worth seeing if you can take some things to the dump in your car to reduce either bulk or weight. Bit of calculation need probably - otherwise have to bit the bullet and pay lots of money.

Bromley council did (still do?) a "big collection" one day a year for washing machines etc. It's a pity Lewisham don't, as it would reduce fly tipping, but that's a different argument.
simon

Post by simon »

Lewisham do a free collection service of three items at a time, but sofas count as three items. There is nothing to stop you boooking a collection for three items, then another three when they have been collected and so on ad infinitum.
sophie

Post by sophie »

If any of the items are useable try going to FREECYCLE
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

just a few words of warning. Some less reputable clearance firms will sometimes flytip their rubbish to reduce tipping costs. If they are caught, they will be fined. If someone can identify the rubbish originating from you, (e.g. letters, old bills etc) then you will be fined also as the rubbish producer.
Ask any clearance firms which tips they use, and make sure they have a waste carrier licence.

Alib
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I thoroughly recommend Freecycle - I used it for the first time last week and somebody emailed me within 24hrs! I had some old text books which I didn't think the charity shop would shift.....

Here's the link for the Lewisham group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lewishamfreecycle/

You would need to register with Yahoo, but it doesn't take long.
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Alternatively, just come along to Homecroft Rd and dump it at the end - everyone else does. The council will pick it up, usually only once the pile has reached a good size. Two more sofas were added this weekend.

There's certainly no risk of getting caught as the council won't put cameras there or block off the site.

W. Wonder