New Lebanese restaurant

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
El Cid

New Lebanese restaurant

Post by El Cid »

Popped into the new Lebanese restaurant in the high street yesterday and came away impressed. The flat bread with lamb and vegetables was pretty good, as was the houmous. Not the best I've tasted, but good enough to make me return. The owner is friendly, although he's a bit slow when it comes to serving.

This is a place that can do really well if the quality of the food remains high. It's in a good location and, with Arabic music playing in the background, has a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.

In contrast, the cafe that opened recently at the bottom of Kirkdale, near the petrol station, seems to be really struggling. Unlike the Lebanese restaurant, it's in the wrong location and isn't offering anything different, or, from the menu, anything that looks really appealing. Every time I walk past it's empty. Other people I've spoken to have said the same. A poster in the window says it's now open on Sundays. I can't help but wonder about the wisdom of this, as that part of Kirkdale is pretty deserted on Sundays.
leenewham

Re: New Lebanese restaurant

Post by leenewham »

We have a new restaurant? Where is it? What's it called?

We love Lebanese food, we found a fantastic one in Beckhenham which we go to occasionally and is the best I've had in London. It would be great to have something closer to home.
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

The new Lebanese restaurant is on Sydenham Road (the high street), opposite Cherry and Ice.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Looks like a kebab shop. Which is what I thought it was
MrsO

Post by MrsO »

I paid it a visit yesterday too. It's situated where the new pavement contractors office used to be and is open until 10pm. We had a kind of meze which came with breads and a large bowl of salad, really fresh and tasty. The owner is very friendly and gave us a taster before we committed to ordering. Food and coffee came to £8 for two people.

The owner told me he is going to be selling Italian ice cream soon.

Well worth a visit.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hmm, might give it a shot, although I get why Cherry & Ice sell ice cream, I'm not sure why a Lebanese restaurant/cafe would sell Italian Ice cream.

Lets see if they tempt us away from Beckenham. I can't wait to use Calabash again, their food is amazing.
MrsO

Post by MrsO »

I wouldn't call it a restaurant per se but the menu is interesting.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Popped in. Lovely coffee. Food looks nice. Seating is extremely uncomfortable and perhaps not the best choice to suit a range of potential clientele of differing ages!!
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

The owners are Iranian so I doubt the new place is Lebanese??
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I just visited for lunch today. It is opposite on the hoof. I had an amazing fresh juice, apple, carrot & ginger. They made me an amazing falafel wrap whilst my little girl had a tub of vanilla & chocolate ice cream. Owner was very friendly & made a fuss of my daughter. He described it as Turkish/Lebanese food. They also sell lots of yummy cakes :)
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Sorry i should add we are friends with the owner we also popped in for çay & a chat..indeed lots of different influences on the menu good luck to the new business.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I ventured in there today. Friendly owners, tasty food, good prices and will definitely be in again. Agree about the seating, not enough low down tables and chairs but understand this is probably due to it being a small space.
I wish them all the best!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Popped in around lunchtime for a takeaway falafel wrap which was offered with some optional salad items from the selection. Very good - and filling.

Other meze salad items, e.g. humous, dolmades (stuffed vine leaves), baba ganoush (roasted aubergine), tzatziki, all looked really good. Thus a plastic takeaway carton of some came away with me as well. Definitely repeat items for me as they knock spots off the equivalent supermarket dip versions.

I'm not really a cake and coffee person - though looking at the selection, I just might be persuaded ;)
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

robbieduncan wrote:Looks like a kebab shop. Which is what I thought it was
A bit too close to Selims for that, me thinks!

I will definitely have to show my face in there, though it will definitely be more for the cake than anything else :D
Pally

Post by Pally »

I know I have mentioned this before but does anyone else find the seating and table arrangements so uncomfortable as to put me off going in? I know I am older than some with a "touchy" back, but honestly it is some of the most uncomfortable café furniture I have ever encountered! I don't want to discourage the new owners but did wonder about mentioning it to them.
sophie

Post by sophie »

The felafel wraps are excellent but the coffee wasn't. I agree that service is slow.
biscuitman1978

Shirin

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I've visited this cafe - Shirin - a couple of times recently and I must say that the falafel wraps and juices are excellent.

In addition, service was speedy and very friendly.

In short, I highly recommend a visit!

Location info at http://www.localdatasearch.com/london/s ... n-1b4991-s
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Coincidentally I also popped in there for the first time yesterday, for a felafel wrap. It was alright. An entirely standard falafel wrap, I thought. A bit dry. Next time I'll ask for even more sauce. I also like a pickle or two in a felafel wrap. Bit disappointing. But I'll reserve full judgement till I've tried the baba ganoush...
mosy

Post by mosy »

Last time I bought a falafel wrap, I was offered a choice of toppings since falafels are a bit tasteless by their nature - maybe you need to ask if you can specify toppings? Their salads are good (including the aubergine but they don't call it baba ganoush and they do plain or stuffed so choose the one you want).

They also do a solid baked herb thingy (fresh herbs, strong taste, stuck together with eggwhite, then baked I think) which I buy to take away as great with boiled eggs etc at home.

I agree some seat cushions wouldn't hurt if eating in.