How to dispose of small dead electrical items

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mosy

How to dispose of small dead electrical items

Post by mosy »

As things like radio, vacuum, speakers, misc cable leads etc are not supposed to be put in refuse bins, and I can't get to the New Cross recycling site - what to do with them?

Although Lewisham will collect "three items", that'd be cumulatively expensive unless I can bundle them somehow.

Any knowledge or ideas please, or maybe a scrap(?) dealer, as presumably a skip would still land them in infill which is exactly not the plan...

Ta.
Rachael

Re: How to dispose of small dead electrical items

Post by Rachael »

Smaller items can go in special recycling bins. There is one at the big Sainsburys in Sydenham, big enough to take kettles, irons, possibly things like DVD players. Might be worth checking the Lewisham website to see if they are listed.

But the quickest way is to put them all in a box and leave them outside your house with a 'take me' sign. Scrap dealers patrol and will pick up stuff like that very quickly. There is a market in all sorts of recyclable components, not just the metal.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Mosy, I don't know where you are, but Bromley's dump in Churchfields is only a short walk from the 194 bus route, if that's any use. (Or if you can walk into Penge and pick up the 354 it takes you past the entrance)
somerandombloke

Post by somerandombloke »

If they still work in any way bring them to Oxfam in Streathm Hill theyl do a proper sAfety check. Otherwise bring them to you nearest recycling dump.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for replies.

Rachael, I don't know if scrap patrols come by and I'm worried I'll be fined for fly tipping, or worse it encourages others to add to a roadside junk collection that just stays there. Does anyone know a tel. no. for such a scrap collector please? Maybe I should ask in the Wanted section?

Thanks somerandombloke. The nearest - only? - recycling site for elec items in Lewisham is New Cross which is untenable re public transport with a lot of items.

Thanks alywin. I was thinking maybe that site, being close enough, but I'm a resident of Lewisham rather than Bromley so would they just turn me away or expect me to have bought an out-of-borough permit? (As you correctly surmise, I'd be on foot.)

It must be possible to "do the right thing"...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Recycling banks for small electrical across the borough, including Sydenham Library: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/w ... hones.aspx

When I put stuff outside my house, I leave it just inside my property boundaries but within sight of passers-by, so no fly-tipping. Nothing is there for more than a day, usually gone within a couple of hours. It's not scrap dealers that patrol the streets, but rather modern versions of tinkers or rag-and-bone men. When they have collected enough volume they sell it to the scrap dealers. You may not be aware of these people, but they are always on the prowl, usually taking stuff out of skips, but they'll pick up anything they can strip metal from.

No harm in trying. If it doesn't go just bring it back in.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachael

I agree 100% . Amazed at how much goes and the speed it goes.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

There is a WEEE bin in Lower Sydenham, between Home Park and Sainsburys'
(waste Electrical and electronic equipment)

If you've bought something like this new, then the seller has a legal obligation to take your old version and dispose of it responsibly.

Otherwise you could ask on here if anyone else has things to recyle and you could share a taxi to the recycling centre, or go with someone else who drives.

or another option is a person who removes stuff - I've recently been recommended a bloke called Barney Rubble (no, really!) who apparently is very good, reliable, efficient, cheap, etc at removing whatever you want removed (WEEE or otherwise). His two assitants do all the heavy lifting.
... although on searching the interwebs I can't find him, so maybe not a great recomendation unless he has zero online presence.
alywin

Post by alywin »

mosy wrote:Thanks alywin. I was thinking maybe that site, being close enough, but I'm a resident of Lewisham rather than Bromley so would they just turn me away or expect me to have bought an out-of-borough permit? (As you correctly surmise, I'd be on foot.)
I've never been asked for a permit when I've gone in on foot, although you do need to have one if you're in a car.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Definitely outside your house is the best option in the first instance. I usually leave overnight and very few items have not been taken.

The other thing is Freecycle. Advertise them as broke and you could be surprised. Over the years I have got rid of countless items including a broken washing machine, a broken oven and a bag of partially used up shoe polishes! Everything, it would seem, can be rehomed.
mosy

Post by mosy »

WEEE bins going going gone! (Small elec recycling bins.)
http://recycleforlewisham.com/2015/07/2 ... eee-banks/

Only option now is Llandmann Way in New Cross it seems. (Good luck to public transport users eh?)

JRobinson noted one in this thread at the corner of Syd. Rd and Porthcawe Road - going going gone around 12 Aug (yesterday). Dunno if still there but better be quick since it won't be there soon. (Thanks JRobinson by the way, I was able to take advantage .)

Above link spotted on one biscuitman1978 posted elsewhere, so ta to him.

PS: If you read down this thread, the Churchfields Rd Bromley site which alywin mentioned might be an option for some vs Landmannn Way.