Sydenham road benches

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
poppy

Sydenham road benches

Post by poppy »

This might seem harsh but does anyone else agree that these should be removed? The ones outside the post office. I have only ever seen alcoholics sitting on them and I use the high street very regularly. If we want to improve the high street and attract more quality businesses the presense of these people can't be helping, surely.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

I think benches are a fine thing to have - and not just for this group. Personally I'd rather the alcoholics were sitting 'out in the open' than being forced to slump / congregate in some back alley. This way we can all see their behaviour and if necessary do something about it if there is any problem.

Being amongst us all seems better for them than being isolated - at least they witness 'normal' life going on. Who knows it might then seem more attractive to them than the life they are currently living.
poppy

Sydenham benches

Post by poppy »

Ordinarily I would agree that benches could be useful in a high street - as a rest stop for the old etc - but I don't think anyone else would want to sit on these benches because of who regularly uses them. I have seen them spitting while hanging around there and I don't think alcoholics are known to have great personal hygiene practices. It might make them less isolated but you could also argue that by giving them somewhere to 'enjoy' a drink could be prolonging the problem. Although I know these things are far more complex than that.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Has anyone noticed how the CCTV camera across the road is often trained on these benches? Yet, despite the alleged anti social behaviour I'm not aware of any serious crimes being committed on the benches!