Upper Sydenham Station

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rebecca

Upper Sydenham Station

Post by Rebecca »

I was wondering if anyone knows why (and also when) Upper Sydenham Station was closed down? It must have been an expensive stretch to build because of the tunnels, so perhaps it was too costly to maintain. Or was it closed after Crystal Palace burned down?
Thanks in advance for any ideas....
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Upper Sydenham Station closed down on 19 September 1954.

It was part of the Nunhead to Crystal Palace line which ran from Nunhead to Honor Oak, on via Brenchley Gardens and the Nature Trail alongside Horniman Gardens to Lordship Lane station, through Sydenham Hill Woods to Upper Sydenham station by way of a tunnel, along where Hillcrest Estate now is, through a second tunnel and arriving at the Crystal Palace (High Level) station.

Last September a walk from the Nun's head (Nunhead) to the Screaming Alice (Crystal Palace) commemorated the 50th anniversary of the closure of the line - about 100 people took part.

A feasilbility study is currently being carried out to see whether the Green Chain Walk can be extended from Crystal Palace to Nunhead, along the length of the old railway line which is still quite a "green corridor".

If you want to read the history of the line and see photos of the stations there is a really interesting book called "Crystal Palace (High Level) and Catford Loop" available through Kirkdale Bookshop
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Pat

Thanks very much for such a detailed response! I recently purchased 2 old maps of the Upper Sydenham area (where I live!) from 1890s and 1914. This is how I discovered the old railway line, and few other interesting facts about the area. I am keen to learn more, and so if you can point me in the direction of any other local history books, maps, websites etc, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again,
Rebecca
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Images of Upper Sydenham Station on Wells Park Road (part of which still remains):

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stat ... dex1.shtml
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for your response - some of these images I hadn't seen before.

Why not join the Sydenham Society, at the same time!

Pat