Area information

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Aaron

Area information

Post by Aaron »

Hi

Hopefully somebody can assist here but I've identified a property on Sydenham Park Road which is great - the only issue is I don't know the area very well, safety is a big concern for my wife whereas I'm pretty easy going.

There is a pedestrian bridge that goes over the railway line at the end of the road and I've been there 4 times during the day and saw some "illegal transactions" there today actually which concerns me about the area. I've never been there at night for example.

There are some council flats on the road which again does t concern us but any information would be appreciated!

Thanks
Robin Orton

Re: Area information

Post by Robin Orton »

I don't live in the immediate area but my wife and I have frequently walked through it and over the 'German Bridge', day and night, for many years. I smelled what I believe was cannabis on one occasion, but neither of us have ever had any problems or felt in any way unsafe.

I know someone who lives in the council flats and do not recall them ever having complained about their neighbours.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Aaron

I have known the German Bridge for decades . It did many years ago have a bit of a reputation for ladies at night but have not heard of any problems in last 20 or so years.

Certainly in daylight very well used as only crossing point of the Railway from Sydenham Rd to Waldron Park Rd .
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I run around there a lot. sydenham park being near kirkdale and forest hill is a great location.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys - I've asked a friend of the family who lives in forest hill and he's said its not great at night and there's a lot of youths hanging around the area.

Not sure if he's just a bit paranoid as he's from an older generation - appreciate the input though. I'm still on the fence annoyingly!
KM

Post by KM »

I don't think the council flats are a problem, always seems fine and again I've used that bridge countless times. And yes there there's sometimes a car with kids smoking cannabis inside, by the bridge.
But I'd investigate the brown flats by the junction of sydenham park/ sydenham park road, if you are looking at a property very near there. I'm under the impression, and hopefully someone can clarify this, that they are for temporary accommodation? always seems like an odd place.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

If the property's great, then that's 3/4 of your decision made for you.

Worrying what goes on by a railway bridge at night is never going to get you anywhere. We live in London: you don't want to be hanging around a railway bridge, underpass, public toilet, park, bandstand or heath in the middle of the night anywhere.

What's much more important is what your actual street is like during the day.
vizzle

Post by vizzle »

I live round the corner and it's a really nice road. When we moved in, neighbours knocked on the door and brought us cake. One woman said there might be a problem with burglaries, but we haven't seen any evidence of that.

I think there'll always been transactions going on in most parts of London. It's fine in the day and I have occasionally walked home after dark, too. I'm quite small and safety conscious so I don't make a habit of walking anywhere at night!

Sydenham and Forest Hill stations are near and there's the great 161 Wine Bar and Hibagon restaurant nearby. I'd go for it. Message me if you want to know anything specific.