Thinking of setting up a singing group

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Emc

Thinking of setting up a singing group

Post by Emc »

I'm thinking of setting up a singing group and wanted to see if there is any interest?
A bit about me: 30s, female, I've sung in choirs and a cappella groups before and my last quartet group broke up about a year ago so I'm interested in setting something similar up again.
Ideally it would be a group of between six to eight people who can read music and have preferably been in a choir before - but joiners wouldn't need to be experts by any stretch of the imagination as it will be mostly just for fun with occasional performances.
I'm thinking maybe we could do some Christmas bits and bobs and if we enjoy it, carry it on. Perhaps we could rehearse somewhere like the Lovely Gallery (depending on hiring costs) or each others homes initially.
Music-wise, maybe we'd take turns in each choosing and directing some sheet music (anything from barbershop, interesting cheesy pop arrangements or occasional classical)? It would have to be an evening during the week - possibly a Tuesday or Thursday evening. So rehearsals once a week and then maybe once a month a drink in the pub afterwards.
Anyway, those are my thoughts. A lot of choirs that I've emailed seem to be full up and the Sydenham Singers meets during the day so seems to be for retirees only. If there's any interest for a new little singing group post below and let's look into giving it a go!
Olivia

Re: Thinking of setting up a singing group

Post by Olivia »

I'm interested! I've PM'd you.
Emc

Post by Emc »

Hi Olivia, thanks for your message. I've put feelers out in a couple of places so once there's some interest from a few more people, I'll be back in touch and we can look at meeting up! :)
If anyone else is interested, please get in touch too - no experts required, anyone who would like to get together and sing would be great.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

I was literally just about to throw a load of sheet music in the recycling - mostly musical theatre stuff. Let me know if you'd like it, or if there is anywhere more positive I could deposit it. It's photocopied pages, some taped together.

Cheers!
Emc

Post by Emc »

Hello, that would be great. Thank you! I work during the day but can pick it up from somewhere in the evening or alternatively maybe you could leave it somewhere for me to collect?
sthomp38

Post by sthomp38 »

Hello, I'd be interested in this. Sounds fun. I also have quite a bit of choir music (of varying difficulty and style)
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Sorry for the late reply - I don't have time to visit here too often. That's great and you're most welcome to it. Will PM you now...
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Regrettably, I don't really have time to commit to a regular singing group, though i do love group singing.

But I was idly thinking today it'd be nice if there were an informal carols/christmas songs singing session at some point at the run-up to Christmas.

Something that might be family-friendly, but which also might involve mince pies and a glass of mulled wine or two: i.e. not in a church, but perhaps somewhere on the high street, like Cherry & Ice or Blue Mountain or even the Golden Lion?
An early evening or late afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday in mid-December?

Would anyone be up for that? I might run it by a cafe or two...
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

Hi, I am interested in joining also, so please let me know of any future arrangements. Thanks
Emc

Post by Emc »

Hi Liliput and Monkeyarms, thanks for your posts and sorry for my slow reply!
Thanks for your interest Liliput. I'm still waiting for more interest so I'm thinking maybe by the time I get a group big enough, it might be January - so am working to that I think - but will keep you posted.
In the meantime Monkeyarms, I love your idea of a Sydenham carol singing session in one of the cafes. Please keep me posted if you do manage to organise that and I'd love to come along! :)