WHAT SHOPS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE HIGH STREET

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leenewham

WHAT SHOPS WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE HIGH STREET

Post by leenewham »

It could be an individual local store or a chain. What do people want?

A toy shop? Waitrose? More cafes? More restaurants? More pound shops? More delis? More cake shops/Bakeries? More fried chicken? Clothes shops? Muji? Matalan? Top Shop? Fishmongors? Butchers? Fruit and veg? An Indoor market? Farmers market?

It would be interesting to hear what people want on their doorstep.
Last edited by leenewham on 1 Dec 2007 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

• Better supermarket - sainsburys or tescos or waitrose.
    Another nice pub/bar
    Another nice pub/bar
    Quality wine/off license (Oddbins or etc.)
    Fishmongers (like the excellent one they used to have)
And maybe another nice pub/bar
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I'd like to see an old-fashioned sweetie shop in place of the old Machrays chemist. Just imagine all those different coloured jars in the window on the glass shelves! I'm thinking of the shop on Northcote Road, ED.

One thing I'd like to see in Sydenham is a picture-framing or print shop. The gallery at Honor Oak Park is small and very successful, (of course there's nothing wrong with the one inside Kirkdale Books, in fact I'm sure they would compliment each other).

And of course, another Fishmongers.

I popped into the Sydenham Hypermarket the other day and there's an area marked "Fresh Meat" - do you think Maggie's coming back?!!

I think independent traders will be more attracted to the High Street once a couple more heavyweight companies start to invest in the area. I was thrilled when Snappy Snaps opened up - then again, I'm easily pleased!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Some interesting ideas already - I particularly like Sydenhamboy's alcohol-themed suggestions. :D

Not sure where a new supermarket could go - perhaps the Somerfields could be revamped, or taken over by a rival chain, or would a "metro" shop on a different site be suitable?

As for pubs, there should be that bar (with the flats above) being built by the railway bridge in the coming months. And of course hopefully the Greyhound will be bought and refurbished. News on this has gone a bit quiet on this hasn't it? A bar/restaurant (perhaps on the old HSBC site) would be a good addition too.

I think we've already got a fairly good selection of shops already (for a suburban high street), which is easy to forget, because of the larger number of less than exciting shops and the fairly poor street layout. What I would like, and this might make me sound like a pretentious (moi?) Clapham wannabee (and no I don't have a three-wheel buggy) is a cheese shop, fishmonger and deli. I'm not expecting them to open up any moment soon, but I think that once the street improvements take place and a few more cafes and shops open up it will all feel much better, which will in turn lead to more redevelopment.

What will be interesting to watch will be the independents/chain mix and if the independents are new start-ups or are expanding after setting up in East Dulwich (which of course is what the BMC have done). But we are blessed with a very long high street, so plenty of room for everyone, and I think that the pound shops and greasy spoons still have a good future.
Last edited by Thomas on 22 Nov 2007 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd be interested to hear any of the traders points of view. Are they struggling, what sort of people come into their shops, does anyone know why shops closed in the past? Where do you do most of yoru shopping?

Do you go to Forest Hill to buy certain things, or Lewisham etc?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Argos please!

Asda
:lol:

There are too many pound shops, the high street looks a mess, if i didnt know better i wouldnt want to live in Sydenham.
It looks like any other run down area in London, at one time i was so proud to live here with the lovely tree lined roads, tidy highstreet, lovely shops etc,now i wouldnt look back if i decide to move.
If you type in U tube sydenham SE26 a web site comes up of some rappers i think called the thugs or something like that, if u find the video have a look in the back ground of it, the very large knife that is shown by one of the lads,that is what is walking the streets of Sydenham, That is why i won't live here in my old(er) age. :cry:
Wing

Post by Wing »

In short, the sort of businesses you find along Lordship Lane ( + North Cross Road) in East Dulwich.
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

I think we need a really good fish and chip shop- none of the horrible battery reared fried chicken, but great quality and nicely presented fish and chips. Again, the one is East Dulwich is lovely.

Also would be great to see a fishmongers, a nice wine shop and a Roullier White!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It might be a good idea if when you post you say something about you, what you do for a living perhaps or age (just to give anyone who is reading this who might be thinking of setting up a shop here an idea of who their target market is and if this forum is truly representative of the people who live in Sydenham).

I'm 33, A designer and I'd like more choice sof places to eat and have a coffee, a good place to buy meat and fish, I'd prefer Waitrose to Somerfield (believe it or not they are about the same price), I wouldn't mind an Argos, a fish shop, butcher, organic farm shop, a great bakery, a deli, an antiques/curios shop, perhaps a gallery selling prints and frames alongside, somewhere that sells lots of Fairtrade goods (I work with them and strongly believe in Fairtrade), a cinema and I agree, a great old fashioned sweet shop or toy shop.

The best thing would be able to go into these places and they would get to know you by name.
multisync

Post by multisync »

That is the village type atmosphere that alot of us would like , people knowing your name and greeting you by it.I used to work in E.D and it is very much like that,people know each other by name,not just a grunt or alright! They are very anti "chain" there were all sorts of things done to stop Cafe Nero opening.
As far as shops for Sydenham a Waitrose or M&S would be good a decent delicatessen a fismongers our old one now operates from a mobile van outside Tesco in Catford come back please.
cinders

oddbins ?

Post by cinders »

Realistically Sydenham is never going to be Dulwich or anywhere where they will have High st names on our small high street and having only moved here a year ago I'm not sure I want it to change. However a good off-licence would be fantastic for all us 40 year old hard working people who like a nice bottle of wine after stressful commute. I guess we are under the latest government label of dangerously high level drinkers in our 40's who indulge in the privacy of our homes. Bring on Oddbins !!
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

A decent jerk chicken place and a pub like The Hob in Forest Hill or the Gipsy Hill Tavern.
gregory

Post by gregory »

I vote for Ann Summers ! After all , it's nearly xmas !! :roll: :!:
nork1

Post by nork1 »

Oh yeah, that too.
cinders

Post by cinders »

Am I mistaken in thinking this is very much a male orientated web-site for people only into curries and beer !!!! Get me outa here back to SW3
nork1

Post by nork1 »

What?? We're all for Ann Summers... what more do you want??!
cinders

Post by cinders »

so sorry if I sounded arrogant, all I want is Oddbins on the High street ! on that theme is it true we are getting Aldi to replace Somerfield PPPlease what is that all about we have Lidls already !!!!!!
nork1

Post by nork1 »

All in one sports pub/kebab shop/strip joint. They've got them in Hamilton, Canada - supposedly the most boring conservative country in the world so why not here? (Ok, maybe I made the kebab bit up but you've got to eat sometime).
cinders

Post by cinders »

Not being personal but are you from Canada , always wanted to go to Quebec being French speaking ? hence me wanting to buy decent wine in a nice liquor store on the high rd.
nork1

Post by nork1 »

No, South London born and bred. Been to Canada a few times - Toronto/Vancouver way... never been to Quebec - my grade 'U' O level French kind of put paid to that.