Woodmans Pub - Kirkdale

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
marianne

Woodmans Pub - Kirkdale

Post by marianne »

Just noticed yesterday that the Woodmans Pub at the top of Kirkdale has closed down. Anyone know what is happening to it?

The Fox and Hounds on the next corner closed down a couple of months ago (corner of Kirkdale and Wells Park Road) so we only have the dismal Windmill to drink in now.
Jules

Post by Jules »

It's such a shame all these pubs are closing down. Soon we'll not have any left. I guess the Bricklayers will be next. :?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope they don't knock it down.

Perhaps it will be renovated. Does anyone know?
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Rumour has it that the Fox and Hounds is reopening very soon.
Apparently by a previous (owner or landlord) from the Woodman
rodney

Post by rodney »

There is good news and bad about Sydenham pubs.

The new manageress of the Woodman hopes to re-open two weeks before Christmas. Sadly, the old decor has all been ripped out but real ale will be re-introduced (after a long abence), so let's all hope that at last this pub will realise some of its huge protential to be a great boozer.

Workmen were in the Fox and Hounds this week, ripping out all the fittings. Is it being refurbished? Is it being shut down? Various rumours abound.

Saddest news concerns the Golden Lion. It was Sydenham's most authentic traditional pub, retaining a separate public bar and saloon. This week the public bar is being ripped out. Will the wonderful outside toilet also disappear?
multisync

Post by multisync »

For Gods sake everyone knows what happened when they ripped the original fittings in the Greyhound!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

My god - I can't believe they're gonna rip out the bar of the golden Lion. I have been planning to go it there specially to see it, I have only gliimpsed the interior from the road and it looks lovely. Is there something wrong with it that I don't know?

Don't they relialise in a couple of years it would probably be a rare treasure?
user100

Post by user100 »

Prob ripping it out to get people to come inside and spend money there instead of going to the Dolphin.

The landlord Joe is no fool, so you may be sure he is not spending money on a refurb unless he expects it to help him retain or increase trade.

Like every other business in the street, it's a case of 'use it or lose it'.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

The reason I went in there was because it was such a lovely traditional building (and the only one that looked even vaguely welcoming). The reason I stopped going in there is because it smells of damp and beer slops.

The Dolphin feels much more cared for and so I assume that I as a customer and my beer and food will be.

I hope the refit is sympathetic and if so good luck to them.

The landlord could have asked on here for suggestions. Like many others I love running local businesses vicariously
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Probably doing it to attract the youngsters - that's who everyone seems to want to get in their establishments these days, especially pubs and clubs. It's terrible, where do you go if you're over 25???
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Fair enough if they want to improve it to increase trade, but so often pubs seem go overboard on these things when they just need a lick of paint and maybe a new carpet.
pip

Post by pip »

Have enjoyed reading the posts on the Golden lion. I can assure you all including those with hypersensitive noses and those my god who are so worried that they only ever look through the window that the bar is not being ripped out. The public bar is closed for a week for a simple redec, new carpet, and the arch that separates the two bars being opened to allow a more user friendly access to the ladies loo from the public bar. The Golden Lion is the only original pub in the high street with a traditional atmosphere to match so try it for yourself and make your own mind up.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Very glad to hear it pip. I will be going as soon as possible. I haven't lived in Sydenham all that long so don't blame me if I haven't tried out all the pubs.

What's more - on the basis of 'looking through the window' I made an arrangement to have lunch there but couldn't go because I was stuck at work. So I admit I feel abit foolish that I haven't been - but it's not for want of trying!

Brilliant news though!
Last edited by Juwlz on 30 Nov 2007 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

:( I wouldn't say my nose is hypersensitive anymore than Londis is now a hypermarket
user100

Post by user100 »

Phew - disaster has been averted - thank the beer gods for that :-)

Now, will all those who were worried the GL was going to be changed into a gastro pub / cocktail bar / yuppie pub / disco bar please start / continue spending some money in there to ensure it remains viable in its present form for many years to come?

Standing outside looking in doesn't count ;-)

Use it or lose it, and if you don't use it, please don't whinge.
rodney

Post by rodney »

I heartily agree with the encouragements that everyone uses The Golden Lion more frequently. It is a gem yet somewhere that many Sydenham residents take for granted. The decor is priceless - you feel like you are stepping back in time 40 years or more. And they serve good hearty meals at lunchtime for sensible prices, unlike a certain pub opposite.
They serve two real ales - generally in decent condition but sadly often not as good as they should be. Perhaps they're not shifting enough of it fast enough to keep it fresh.
With so many local pubs having disappeared recently, this one deserves our support.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

... and if they do the same as other years, their Christmas Decorations are a must see. They are WaaaaaaY OTT. Fantastic!
woodman.se26

THE WOODMAN NOW OPEN

Post by woodman.se26 »

The Woodman is now under new ownership. Whilst it retains the character and atmosphere of the traditional local pub, it aims to place emphasis on a more lively environment for a wider variety of local people. The Woodman creates an ideal setting for an impromptu pint or an evening of celebration. Food from the New Year.
Seasons Greetings to All.