Best dog walks in SE London

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rachael

Best dog walks in SE London

Post by Rachael »

Our puppy Demon Dog is now 5.5 months old and ready to take on longer walks. We walk in Mayow Park and Crystal Palace Park regularly and have forayed down to Peckham Rye to walk with friends.

We plan to visit Beckenham Place Park soon - I hear the bluebells in Spring are something to behold.

I'd love to walk him in Sydenham Woods - can forum members recommend where is best to park and start a walk in the woods?

How friendly is Sydenham Wells Park for dog walking? Most dog owners - and dogs - are very tolerant of Demon Dog who, being a spaniel, loves EVERYONE, human or canine, and is often to be seen bounding off into the distance to declare true love to some random stranger.

Where else is good for daily dog walking? Any hidden gems? 15 minutes drive would be my limit as I'd want to spend more of the time walking than driving.
Robin Orton

Re: Best dog walks in SE London

Post by Robin Orton »

We have used Sydenham Hill woods for years. Dogs love it. The only possible downside for young (or entire) dogs is that it is quite easy for them to shoot off into the trees and get lost. So you have to keep them under control or, at least, keep a very close eye on them in some parts of the woods.

It is within easy walking distance for us, but I think it is still usually pretty easy to park on Sydenham Hill near the Kirkdale roundabout, near the Castelbar House nursing home - by or just opposite to the entrance to the top end of Cox's Walk.

Beckenham Place Park is also very good. At any rate at weekends, it is easy to park near Ravensbourne Station.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks, Robin. Demon Dog is still entire but not for long. He's still likes to keep me in sight when we go somewhere new, although I know that will change when adolescence truly kicks in.

(His name isn't really Demon Dog but he's asked me to respect his privacy online.)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote:(His name isn't really Demon Dog but he's asked me to respect his privacy online.)
Good idea. I hope demondog will soon be posting in the Town Pub under that name. I'm sure he will have distinctive views on Muslims (unclean, moi?), immigrants, obesity, tattoo parlours and housing policy (more affordable kennels!)

Perhaps I'll suggest the same to our companion animal. 'Tiddles' would be a good name. Sufficiently ambiguous as to species and gender to avoid unwanted online harassment.
simon

Post by simon »

I've been using Beckenham Place Park for about five years; it is excellent for dog walking, particularly the two fields south of the railway line next to the river. Cator Park is quite good but it is very open, although if you are worried about your dog running off there is a small enclosed area of land where dogs can be let off the lead with no worries.
I've found Mayo Park to be increasingly dog unfriendly and rarely go in there. Crystal Palace park is OK as are Sydenham Woods. Overall, I think we are very lucky to have so many good places to walk our dogs.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Why do you say Mayow is dog unfriendly? It's our nearest park and we've been going there a few days a week since Demon Dog was tiny. It's a bit limited in size, but we've found a lovely bunch of other dog owners there and haven't noticed any anti-dog feeling from other users.

It is a bit frustrating that dogs are officially banned from the central field, but most dog owners allow their dogs a quick scoot around the edges when the park is quiet and respect the playing area in the middle. We've stopping going on Saturdays as the central field is all used for football training and Demon Dog does like to join in...
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Robin Orton wrote:We have used Sydenham Hill woods for years. Dogs love it. The only possible downside for young (or entire) dogs is that it is quite easy for them to shoot off into the trees and get lost. So you have to keep them under control or, at least, keep a very close eye on them in some parts of the woods.

It is within easy walking distance for us, but I think it is still usually pretty easy to park on Sydenham Hill near the Kirkdale roundabout, near the Castelbar House nursing home - by or just opposite to the entrance to the top end of Cox's Walk.

Beckenham Place Park is also very good. At any rate at weekends, it is easy to park near Ravensbourne Station.
One must also be aware of the paid dog walkers in Syd Hill Woods who have a max 4 dogs in tow on huge leads. They can be a pain.
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Rachael, yes its the £80 fine for dogs going in the middle that is pretty unfriendly. I have greyhounds and if they are let off the lead its no good me telling them they cant go in the middle; they just wont listen!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I wonder if anyone has been fined? Demon Dog, being a spaniel, is a fairly determined chaser of the seagulls that lie in the middle of the field. I always get him back pronto, but how long a period of grace do I have between him bolting and me getting him back?

About a month ago there were signs in the trees about the ban and fine. Within a few days they'd disappeared. I hear they were found in one of the doggy waste bins...
dickp

Post by dickp »

If you want something a little different, you could also try going to South Norwood Country park. It's a bit of a faff to get to the main car park - down a random terrace street - but it has a nice air of urban wilderness about it.

If you'd like to take the demon dog for a post-walk drink, there are loads of nearby pubs that are mutt-friendly. These include Westow House, The Alma, The Sparrowhawk and Bridge Tavern near CP park, The Crown and Greyhound near Dulwich Park, and The Florence near Brockwell Park. I'd also recommend downloading the doggie pubs app for your phone.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks dickp! Demon Dog still has too much puppy wriggle in him for pub visits - even after a good romp, but one day...

I remember taking the kids to South Norwood park many years ago. It has a strangely appealing bleakness about it.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Hi I have a 5 month pup. I love close to Alex Rec which is great for weekday walks. Further afield we go to CP and Beckenham Place. BP is huge and v easy parking.
Other options are Cator, Harvington which is just by Eden Park station. The Bridge House is so dog friendly. My pup is v welcome there :D