Sugahill

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sugahill cafe

thanks

Post by sugahill cafe »

Would just like to thank everyone for their comments and support since opening we have taken onboard many of your suggestions /criticisms and rectified where possible ,i.e adding the highchairs ,cushions and brightening the place up (at the moment with the colourful artwork of local artist liz dalton) ,we will also look to change the small seating area in the left hand window for something a little more comfortable soon.Once again thanks for all your support from all at sugahill
Last edited by sugahill cafe on 5 Feb 2008 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I really like it in there - certainly, I preferred it to Blue Mountain which is always rammed and the food I had there was greasy

My husband and I spent a really relaxed Sunday afternoon reading the papers and having a couple of coffees and hot chocolates. My OH is REALLY fussy about his coffee, and he really liked theirs. The chocolate was really nice too

Not too sure about Blue Mountain, which is a scrum, but will be back to Sugahill
the_raff

Sugahill has upped the ante

Post by the_raff »

I went in today, and the lady who runs it has started baking her own cakes, as well as roasting her own chickens and beef... had a beef and horseradish sarnie and it kicked ass.

Double espresso still the best around. Cappucino not great - foam is a bit weak.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I like the seating in the left hand window! It's nice to go there and hide away to read the paper hwile eating/drinking
sugahill cafe

hiding

Post by sugahill cafe »

you will still be able to hide their dont worry...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I like both.

I go to both.

I think they both offer different things.

Can anyone explain why Blue mountain is pretentious? They sell Carrot cake. pie and salad. Full English breakfast. all are excellent quality but yes, a bit expensive.

Frankly I love the variety.

More variety please in the high street, not numerous pound shops that exactly the same products!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Went there on Saturday, had an excellent hot chocolate and a perfectly cooked pannini.

The home made chocolate cake was good too.

One comment, from across the road it looked dark, possibly shut.

I think the facia and signage looks REALLY great, as does the interior, but perhaps they need more light in the window, especially on a gloomy day to attract passers by.
Jwana

Post by Jwana »

I'm quite new to the area & to the UK so may not have the full background here. But for what it's worth the biggest surprise for me coming from Australia to UK was the absolute lack of good cafes serving great coffee and food in London - quite astonishing for such a dynamic, cosmopolitan city.

So, I'm all for supporting local cafes that are trying to fill this niche and I think it's good that Sugahill is up & running because to be honest I think BM is a little pretentious and perhaps it assumes that it can do as it likes due to lack of nearby competition. I sat outside (after being instructed to do so) for nearly 20mins & no-one came to take my order/give me a menu etc as I was told would happen. I think the BM food / coffee is Ok but the service not great.

So, my view is the more comptetition the better! :)
inactive_user

Family Cafe (ex Cafe 44, ex Sun Cafe', ex... ex... ex...)

Post by inactive_user »

Yesterday I went to visit the "new" cafe in Sydenham, now called "Family Cafe". The mood wasn't amazingly great in there. Why is that? What makes me sad is that I honestly think that that place has got a very good potential and it simply needs some organization, some good business thinking.

Family Cafe is in the middle of Newlands Park, just behind Alexandra Rec. The closest cafes are either in Sydenham Road or in Penge High Street. This means that there is a lot of potential, especially considering how many people live in Newlands Park and close by.

For example: on a lazy Sunday morning, who would want to go all the way to Blue Mountain or Sugahil if you had a local cafe' open for business? But guess what: Family Cafe is closed on Sundays.

It's a pity because the food is good, the staff is friendly, they look like nice people. If it was just a little bit more organized and proactive towards the local market, towards the local community, it could be a very successful place.

I just don't want to see another cafe that does not last more than 3 months..
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Free wi-fi available at sugahill cafe from monday 9th june........ :)
paultreacy

Coffee

Post by paultreacy »

Although the coffee at Blue Mountain is good the coffee at Sugahill is sensational. Or at least it was when last I was there. I'll go anywhere if the coffee's right.
paultreacy

Comparison

Post by paultreacy »

Jwana's absolutely right. Blue Mountain can leave you hanging for ages. Sugahill is more intimate, somehow.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have to admit I haven't been in Sugahill for ages (sorry Chris!).

Their hot chocolate is great.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I haven't been for ages either. Might pop in later but will try to avoid the hot chocolate everyone is raving about!!! :cry:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Regret only occassional visitor but very much like it. Much better than the coloured mountain shop.

Had am argument with the staff at the BM., At 10.00 am on Sunday I was only client but they insisted in playing loudly an excuse for music. I asked them to kindly turn down which they did but I got some strange looks.

Surely music etc should be for the customer not the staff.
boon

Post by boon »

I've enjoyed the food at the BMC in the past, overpriced though it certainly is. One oddity though - my partner asked for a fried egg with her breakfast and was curtly informed that they could "only do scrambled." That seemed exceedingly odd to us, with only 2 possible explanations: A) they get their eggs out of a packet, or B) their cook doesn't know how to fry an egg. I'm not sure which one is preferable.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Boon
The only explanation I would think is getting it out of a packet. I know they do catering omlettes so presumably catering scambled oeuffs.
boon

Post by boon »

Organic scrambled packet eggs, of course.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Maybe the mixtures were prepared earlier and used up all thee eggs. Hmmm.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Was in Sugahill this afternoon with my son, Eoin age 6 and we had a most wonderful time. It was cozy. Chat was terrific and illuminating. And the music was classy. It played gently in the back round but was easily accessible if you needed it. The music in there is always excellent and never overwhelming. It seems to suit the coffee which I've raved about before.

The only thing that bothers me, though only slightly, is the temperature. It seems just a little too warm. Turn down the temp a little and it'd be a perfect place to spend some time and get some work done. In my opinion.

SydenhamShots