Sugahill

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
claireclaire

Sugahill

Post by claireclaire »

Am I right in thinking that business at Sugahill has been a little slower than one might have expected... (considering how many posts there have been on this site about wanting new/more/classier coffee shops in Sydenham)?

I've been in twice (with baby and buggy) and found it very pleasant, but was surprised to see that business seemed to be a little slow, and I really can't understand why.

Do others think this is the case?
KateM

Post by KateM »

I went into Sugarhill this morning with buggy etc to try it out.

The coffee was good value and lovely - the service very friendly. Nice jazz in background.
Dee

Post by Dee »

claireclaire, I agree with you.

It was a nice place to pop into for a slice of cake and a read of a newspaper when the place was known as Zucker.

Having popped into Sugahill this week, the service was good, the decor looked attractive and fresh, and my cafe mocha and cake were lovely. I was one of only two customers for about half an hour, and then more people gradually came in either for something to take away or to eat in.

I do hope that Sydenham gives Sugahill its support, and look forward to seeing it packed!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Having now tried both of our new cafes I have to say I come down on the side of Sugahill. Great value. Really friendly. Nice coffee and cake. On all counts I prefer it to Blue Mountain which I think is overpriced in comparison. Weirdly as well, Sugahill can actually seat as many if not more people than Blue Mountain. I also hope it is supported.
proxybar

Post by proxybar »

I have been in both places and I find them both an interesting novelty.
I live and work in Sydenham and I find them very handy to reach at lunch time. I have to say, I do find Blue Mountain a bit expensive. Nonetheless, it does offer good quality food and good service, in a nice scenario, cosy and clean. BM's problem is the fact that there is not too much space to walk within, too many (nice) things around. I liked the coffee at Sugahill and the staff is friendly, everything is clean. Still, something seams to be missing.. it's all white all around (as far as I remember) and not enough colors, not too cosy, maybe a little bit cold and empty. I have been to the Premier Snack bar too, I spoke with the staff but I didn't try anything. I will do it soon, so I can't say more than it's a spartan enviroment and the staff is extremely friendly and welcoming.
poppy

Sugar Hill

Post by poppy »

I think it's a shame that the owners did not go for a similar sytle to Zucker. With seating in the window and cushions etc, it would have made it stand out more from BM which is quite canteeny and been really welcoming and cosy in the winter (somewhere you might want to spend a bit more time in and not just eat and go), or if they had done something with the shop front which meant you could open large glass doors onto the street it would be more attractive in the summer as you could almost be sitting outside. It looks a bit clinical I think.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I went to Sugahill today for the first time. Yes, it is different from Zucker cafe, but all things change in life and i rather liked it; if the owners are new, then why would they just copy what was there before...after all Zucker closed i assume to lack of business, maybe down to its appearance? I work and live close by and I gave up going there as it was so cramped. The new cafe has more space and feels much more open than the previous cafe. The food was good, reasonably priced and the staff very welcoming and friendly. I will definetly go back there on a regular basis. Cafes are businesses after all....not lounges for people to sit in for hours on end, drinking a single cup of coffee, and taking up space from other customers
proxybar

Post by proxybar »

Yeah, that is true. it is also true that it looks a bit clinical. by the way, did anybody notice that Cafe 44 (ex Sun Cafe') which closed down few weeks ago, it's now exposing paper saying that they will be back in business soon? Does anybody know Cafe 44 by the way?
sophie

Post by sophie »

I suppose things really do come down to personal taste. I like the decor in Sugahill as it is fairly neutral but tasteful. I know though that they are looking into getting artwork for the wall possibly from a local artist which people could then buy if they wanted to like lots of places do. This would add a bit of colour to the place. To the poster who said about lack of window seats have you been in? There ARE window seats! The difference being though that you face into the cafe instead of the street like before.
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

I tried to go to BM yesterday with my husband and baby and it was closed so I thought - I know I'll try sugahill. Two minutes later we had to reverse and ended up in Chef's Delight - the reason? Sugahill has no highchairs. They are only £12 from IKEA - if they want more of the family custom then I would suggest making this small investment!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Dotkin I had a discussion with the owner the other week and she said they would be getting highchairs
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

Went to sugahill for the first time today and thought it was great. Nice decor, friendly staff and great value top quality food. I recommend the club sandwich!
the_raff

The best espresso around

Post by the_raff »

I have been into Sugahill a few times now, and find the quality of coffee superior to Blue Mountain, so will keep coming back for more.

I have nothing against BM at all - and am in fact delighted it came to Sydenham - I just hope things pick up at Sugahill. It would be a shame, as you all say, to see another nice cafe go down the swanny due to lack of business after everyone crying out for it for so long.

I loved Zucker - it was just the right side of shambolic, and Nimra's club sandwich was astounding for £3.50... the Sugahill equivalent isn't quite as good, but still a big doorstop of a sarnie for the price. You can have two lunches in there for the price of one in BM.

Agreed they need to just do "something" to it to warm it up... you know when you see a restaurant where all the tables are perfectly lined up it just puts you off? I get a little bit of that feeling. A few cushions, perhaps? All the nice veg, fruit and products in BM give you that reassuring vibe...
poppy

Sugahill

Post by poppy »

One thing I thought would make it better would be to replace the two tables with two chairs each on the left hand side as you walk in with one table and four leather club-style chairs. That would make it a bit more inviting and relaxed and you could probably still have room for high chairs etc. Do they do homemade cakes? I did not notice when I was in there as I only had a sandwich.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Dotkin - now the Christmas tree is down there are a couple of high chairs in its place waiting to be used!

Yes, I agree with Poppy about maybe having a few cushions about.

I spent a couple of hours there yesterday having brunch and reading the papers. It was lovely. They were very busy for the time I was there with a few people coming in for take away only. Not sure how busy it is in the week though
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

Thanks Sophie! I'll now happily try it again!
sean

Cushions

Post by sean »

I think there is a plan to covert the area between the window and the side of the counter into a sofa area. But give them time they only opened before Christmas. They are probably waiting to see how it goes before spending more money. So the more you go in there the quicker the cushions will turn up.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I was in Sugahill on Thursday and thought i saw the corner bay on the right as you walk in with a bench style long seat which also extends around the other main wall. Had some cushions on it as well. I dont think they do home made cakes but i was speaking to the lady who runs it, and she said they she hopes to be doing home made hot meals in there soon. I like it in there, as i think it has a nice atmosphere, not to pretencious, reasonably priced, and the food is good as well, for what it is. I tend to go in now about 2-3 times a week.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I was in there today, my second time, and had a very nice coffee and croissant. It had a lovely feel about the place and the staff were most welcoming. I did notice a window seat had been added, and there were more cushions, so it did feel cosier. The prices are so reasonable too, I'll definitely be back.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I've been in there a couple of times & I think it's just right, not too pretentious, reasonably priced, and the food/coffee is good. Friendly service.

Oh nice job with the toilet as well, Blue Moon should take note on how to do it properly.

There's things they could do to improve food wise but that will come in time hopefully.