Frogspawn?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
dacreswood

Frogspawn?

Post by dacreswood »

Anyone one else seen any frogspawn yet this year? I've just had a comment on our walk for last week, when I said I'd not seen any yet in the Dacres Wood pond, from someone saying there are four clumps in his pond and his neighbour's.

http://dacreswood.org.uk/weekly-walk-february-23rd/

BTW - we're having a bird walk Sunday March 13th, starting at the reserve at 7.30, then going into Mayow Park, and finishing back at the Field Studies centre, where there are kettles to make some hot drings. Welcome to join us any time - I'll be tweeting from @dacreswood with #dacresmayowbirds to say what we see, and where we are.
mikej

Re: Frogspawn?

Post by mikej »

We've got some in our garden pond! There was loads of activity in there last week.
dacreswood

Post by dacreswood »

Just a bump for our bird walk Sunday March 13th, starting at the reserve at 7.30, then going into Mayow Park, and finishing back at the Field Studies centre, where there are kettles to make some hot drings. Welcome to join us any time - I'll be tweeting from @dacreswood with #dacresmayowbirds to say what we see, and where we are.

Pretty sure to see Goldcrest. This silhouette is as good as I could get with my camera today,

but a birder tells me it's good enough for identification.

My cat likes something a little bit more tangible

dacreswood

Post by dacreswood »

We had a good bird walk this morning, the highlight probably seeing a sparrow hawk perched high up in one of the Turkey oaks in Dacres Wood. We also had some lovely clear views of green woodpeckers - three of them - on one of the ancient oaks in Mayow Park. Hopefully photos to come.

We also heard, and saw, some serious amphibian sex going on in the pond, so maybe some frogspawn is on its way!
dacreswood

Post by dacreswood »

One chilly sparrowhawk

According to Paul, leading the walk, if it hadn't been cold and misty, it wouldn't have stayed perched up there, offering us all a good view - and my first actual sighting of one.

Moving on to Mayow Park, we also got some good views of woodpeckers

For more, read Paul's write up in the Friends of Dacres Wood FB group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dacreswood