What a beautiful day

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mosy

Re: What a beautiful day

Post by mosy »

Every silver lining has its cloud eh? If we let it. No longer a nation of shopkeepers but a nation of worriers. Are we perhaps generically losing the ability to "see" good things now through our eyes as opposed to our brains taking over and going into overdrive thinking what might be worse in the future?

Therefore, I'd happily agree we'd all benefit by taking more time out to value things. I recall being staggered at the sheer perfection of a view of a silvery full moon with Man-in-the-Moon face in a clear sky. I was half expecting a crowd to gather in the way they do to see what people are staring up at, but, no, this rare and strangely hypnotic sight invoked only the merest flicker of a "So what?" glance from others. I suppose how we see the world is up to us as individuals. It is said that some people are only happy if they have something to grumble about. Maybe we're all a bit like that?
Maria

Post by Maria »

No it didn’t it, did it?

And even Molly ( who has to be the laziest cat in the entire universe) kept sticking her nose out of the cat flat, obviously tempted by the wall to wall blue skies; not quite yet, she clearly decided – but the time to annoy squirrels, jump over flower borders and climb trees is in her mind clearly just around the corner.
A new lightness in our steps...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

On bright, breezy days, quite often I find myself looking up, to see sky and clouds sailing past, and leaved shimmering, and think it's the same sort of beauty as one might travel miles to a established beauty spot to see.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

But is there sunshine in our hearts?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Certainly not. I wouldn't dream of mentioning God in the Town Café.
Maria

Post by Maria »

... or was that perhaps yet another reference to the total inept, over sentimental & highly melodramatic Fotherington Thomas' musings? Whose mention has, strangely enough, disappeared from this thread less than 24 hours ago - just as mysteriously as your entire post which you appeared to have used in vain to try and wound as well as mock others (or so it seemed though it has to be said, we are still standing)?

In reply to your question: is there sunshine in our hearts?. The answer, from me, is: absolutely not; no trace of I - just miraculously brief moments of relief, re-adjustment, and serenity. Oh, and I can't tell you the relief of those moments, however brief they turn out to be.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Maria wrote:... or was that perhaps yet another reference to the total inept, over sentimental & highly melodramatic Fotherington Thomas' musings? Whose mention has, strangely enough, disappeared from this thread less than 24 hours ago - just as mysteriously as your entire post which you appeared to have used in vain to try and wound as well as mock others (or so it seemed though it has to be said, we are still standing)? .
I removed the Fotherington-Thomas post myself; I regretted making it, precisely because on reflection I realised its tone could indeed be read as mocking and wounding and therefore inappropriate for the Town Café, which is meant to be friendly and positive. I shall try to avoid making such posts in future, at any rate in the Café.

I hope my later post didn't read as being mocking or wounding.
Maria

Post by Maria »

It didn't - not in the least.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:I thought as I turned onto Earlsthorpe and leaned down to stroke a one-eyed cat. Just then an old man, bent double over his cane walked past. "Good Morning! What a beautiful day!" he called out, electrified by the morning.

Of course, he may die soon, unloved by minimum-wage staff in a private nursing home, the cat too, at the mercy of a serial killer and blue skies turn to grey with this afternoon's rain.

But these latter thoughts, brought on by too closer engagement with the each & everything, do not have the currency they once did. They no longer supersede. They are an afterthought. On a morning like this they are barely worth thinking about.
My thought concept is:

Every day is a beautiful day, it's just sometimes the weather is pants...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

Lovely thought . We should all be positive.

We only have a few years in this life much better to be cheerful and friendly .
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:Every day is a beautiful day, it's just sometimes the weather is pants...
Eagle wrote:We only have a few years in this life much better to be cheerful and friendly .
Sometimes that's a good philosophy, chaps. Sometimes it really is more complicated than that.
I agree. Life can be incredibly tough but it never negates the fact that every day the sun rises in the East.

I blame Hugh Cornwell myself.
Maria

Post by Maria »

:lol: