10 best places to eat and drink in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
El Cid

10 best places to eat and drink in Sydenham

Post by El Cid »

sophie

Re: 10 best places to eat and drink in Sydenham

Post by sophie »

Gurkha
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I'm not commenting on his selection of places to eat and drink in Sydenham, but speaking as a native and devotee of Kernow's greatest contribution to gastronomy; if he thinks that the Cake Store's Cornish pasties are "very good" he's an idiot.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree with some on the list, especially Trattoria.

But it misses the Lemon Tree, Calabash of Culture who's vegan food is brilliant, On The Hoof Bistro (best sunday roasts anywhere), the Fish & Chip shop opposite the Golden Lion among others.

It's weird adding a pub in se20. There are some really great places surrounding Sydenham to eat and drink, really nice places to be. The appeal of Sydenham is access to these areas.

I'm not sure about the Cake Shop either.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Missing out Hibagon is criminal.

In the nine months I've lived here, the best meals I've had were in Hibagon, Beer Rebellion (though as it's a pop-up kitchen, you never know what you're going to get) and, come to think of it, The Wood House (simply because I've never eaten anything other than their veggie burger, which is excellent, and I've always had a bit of a hangover. Can't comment on their other stuff...).

My dad keeps telling me the Himalayan Kitchen is among the best curries he's had in London. But I guess Himalayan Kitchen is Penge...
Last edited by monkeyarms on 8 Aug 2016 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

For what it's worth, last weekend we ate at Bona, the sourdough pizza place near Forest Hill Pools. It's very good - if you've ever eaten at Franco Manca, you'll know the sort of thing.

Not really Sydenham, of course. But, crucially, they deliver to SE26! I'd been struggling to find a decent pizza deliverer; I can cross that one off the list.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree about Bona, Himalayan Kitchen is brilliant (and they deliver to Sydenham).

We've never been to Hibagon. We may check it out, but we are really spoilt for choice within a short drive of Sydenham for places to go out.
Annabel

Post by Annabel »

Cake store is a joke. Cakes and pasties there are very bad. The Dolphin- not tasty and overpriced. I agree about Bona ;)
Pally

Post by Pally »

On the Hoof for coffee, cakes, snacks.
Lemon Tree ...great curries. Anyone know what the food is like at the Golden Lion now ...went once when it first reopened, but not been back since as wasn't great!
aunty

Post by aunty »

Would recommend Hibagon - good food and the staff are very pleasant.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree Pally, I haven't been back to the Golden Lion after trying it 3 times. Times are tough. Going out is a treat, I want to spend my money less often but more wisely. It's a shame as it's a nice space in part, if a little sparse inside. It's a bit too open, the little snugs were great, they could do with more of that, a bit like The Chandos in Central London.

Overall, I'd rather pay more and have something that feels special and go less often than grab some calories made by someone other than me in a place that doesn't look or feel like the owner cares about it.
Pally

Post by Pally »

leenewham wrote:I agree Pally, I haven't been back to the Golden Lion after trying it 3 times. Times are tough. Going out is a treat, I want to spend my money less often but more wisely. It's a shame as it's a nice space in part, if a little sparse inside. It's a bit too open, the little snugs were great, they could do with more of that, a bit like The Chandos in Central London.

Overall, I'd rather pay more and have something that feels special and go less often than grab some calories made by someone other than me in a place that doesn't look or feel like the owner cares about it.
I'd agree with all that Lee. I love Brown ad Greens(?) in Mayow, with or without children! Pricier but worth it for a treat now and then
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

We've been to Hibagon lots and it's great. Love the Bento and the staff are wonderful. Do try it if you haven't!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Regrettably, unless they've reverted, On the Hoof no longer does Sunday roasts except on special occasions such as Mother''s day.

The Dolphin''s food is terrible. Drinks grossly overpriced.

Friends went to Golden Lion recently. Empty apart from them and they weren't terribly impressed. Main courses were served at differing times.

Haven't been to Hibido yet but have heard excellent recommendations.

From my personal experience, On the Hoof and Trattoria Rafaele are the best, in my opinion, and slightly further afield the All Inn One and the Perry Vale, both in Perry Vale, Forest Hill, a few minutes drive from Sydenham Road.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Sorry meant Hibagon
Pally

Post by Pally »

Agree the Perry Vale is good .....that and Trattoria Raffaele are definitely my favourites, though as you say PV is not really Sydenham.