Things to do

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ZANIBA

Things to do

Post by ZANIBA »

I have just moved to sydenham from forest hill is there anything to be aware of?
Newman

Things to be aware of

Post by Newman »

You mean apart from the 'beast of Sydenham' that is terrorising the area at present? What did you have in mind exactly - things to do, pubs, restaurants etc? I would be happy to offer some suggestions.
ZANIBA

Post by ZANIBA »

Yes Adam I would like opinions on restarants and aren't you from the SE23 Fourm?
Adam

opinions

Post by Adam »

Go to Semas cafe for a decent fry up or nice home made cooking at lunch time, it is truely divine!

Failing that the Wimpy isn't half bad, at night you could always try The Lokal, friendly, clean and cheapish.

All of these are on Sydenham Road.

Also have a look at thecakestore.com on Sydenham Road Jct with Mayow Road for great cakes, breads and naughty but nice delights. But, be warned on Saturdays its so popular there isnt much on the shelves come 1pm!

Enjoy!

:lol:
Jane73

Curry house

Post by Jane73 »

There's a fantastic very small curry house on Dartmouth Road (not sure if we're allowed to name local businesses, so I won't) sufficice to say it's well worth the extra few mins walk.

You might also like to join the Sydenham Society see www.sydenhamsociety.com it's very cheap & you get 4 newsletters a year. They do alot of work with local groups, charities & councils so it's well worth the few pounds to join.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Curry house

Post by admin »

Jane73 wrote:There's a fantastic very small curry house on Dartmouth Road (not sure if we're allowed to name local businesses, so I won't)
Yes you are!

The best way is to do a write up in the Review section and just put a pointer from here. I currently trust people to post honest and unbiased accounts and not be connected with the business (except as a satisfied customer).

I find people who abuse this tend to get found out and rubbished so their efforts are counterproductive.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I'm always interested to know of any curry house recommendations. Is the one you are talking about, near to the Kirkdale roundabout ?
megan

Post by megan »

kafe La in forest hill is brilliant really good food and comfy surroundings
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks for the tip Megan, even if it does sound like its owned by Scousers.
Jane73

Curries

Post by Jane73 »

Fishcox, I meant Cafe Jeera which is a little bit further along Dartmouth Road. It's great.

See my review at http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=174
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Jane. I've done Cafe Jeera, and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, nothing has matched The Surma ('tis a pity it's in East Dulwich) which is the finest curry house I have ever had the pleasure of sampling.

The best one in the immediate vicinity, has probably been the Gurkha.

Best chippy is deffo Kent Mans - even if they dont do mushy peas.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Have mentioned on another thread, try the 2 Turkish restaurants. Have been a loyal eater at Lokal for several years and used to love the belly dancing on Saturday evening. Haven't been since the re-furb and new management took over but have heard it is still as good. The new Turkish place The Fez is also excellent and incredibly good value. Sufficiently different to Lokal to not be a threat I hope as the more choice the better I say.

I don't like any of the pubs on the high street really. I go to the Greyhound occasionally under pressure and the one near Lidl's but that's it.