Sheds

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
The Clown

Sheds

Post by The Clown »

I'm in the market....just moved in and shed is barely standing, so need to deal with it this season before the inclement weather hits.

I have had an offer (gratefully received) from family to erect the shed, once it has arrived but I am struggling with ensuring quality / value with everything being online.

I think tongue and groove or "overlap" is probably the way to go.
W 8' x D 6' x H 7' seems a sensible size

These looked the best from garden centre "chains"

B&Q £588
http://www.diy.com/departments/6x8-apex ... 065_BQ.prd

Wickes
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Casita-D ... 7/p/147548

Good, bad, indifferent experiences would be welcome if shared.

Thanks

Cx
Willy

Re: Sheds

Post by Willy »

I would try somewhere else. I bought a shed from B and Q previously and they are very poor, had to do quite a lot of remedial work after 3 years like re-roof, and attempt to seal up all the gaps with mastic.

I just moved house and replaced a rotten shed with one from Tiger Sheds, it was 8x6 and cost £299 for a Shiplap Apex plus I paid another £100 on top of that for installation (took them less than 30 mins and looks great)
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Try Tiger Sheds. I have a great bike shed from them. Very easy to assemble and good quality.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Many Thanks - will take a closer look at Tiger. Two votes is not a bad start!
JamesS

Post by JamesS »

Three votes for Tiger. Bought one from them last month. Cheaper and much better quality than the high street DIY stores.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Profit from my experience and go for tongue-and-groove: it's far more solid and waterproof than lapping ones, where the planks can eventually come loose and slip out. I must say, that one you've selected seems rather more expensive than the slightly smaller (lapping) one I bought years ago from an independent - and that included assembly. There's a good timber merchant by Woodside tramstop - I don't know whether they do sheds?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Thanks for advice so far.

By the time I had finalised my quote / specification I was up to a whopping £800. This in itself didn't frighten me (completely) to death as I had already been looking at "shed-envy" candidates on Passmores (Kent) website. 2k for one of those delights at 8x6. Very pretty...

But, it was enough (along with the requirement for decent base preparation) to scare me off until next year. So keep those suggestions coming. Tiger are definitely firm favourites as things stand but if I can source more locally at same or improved quality and cost then all the better.

Will gave mooch about Alywin thanks