Alexandra pub

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Philcarter71

Alexandra pub

Post by Philcarter71 »

Hi, have seen some building work going on, does anybody know what it will be? Cheers
leenewham

Re: Alexandra pub

Post by leenewham »

It's going to be a pub, but they haven't followed the planning permissions, which is totally crazy.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

They haven't followed planning permissions? Any more details on that? Are they being challenged on that front?
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

The facade of it certianly doesn't look like its going to be a pub....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's going to be a Bistro pub but no tenant as such.

More info on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... ub%20penge
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Followed the link to the Facebook discussion. There's some information there on things they've done (re. windows) in order to comply with planning permissions but nothing written there about not complying with planning permissions? Is this info somewhere else?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Look at the post under that one.

I don't buy what they said about the windows. with a new building, yes, but looking at building control online,
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

But if nobody ever actually strenuously objects to what they have done regarding the windows - and clearly Bromley council aren't all that fussed - does it actually really matter? I mean, relative to actually getting a tenant in and getting the place up and running...

I'm just constantly amazed at how unhurried so many property-owning businesses are around here. Blasé, bordering on catatonic. You know, we are living at a time when property in London is at an all-time insane high, and the amount of money that can be asked in commercial rent is sizeable. Yet in Sydenham and surrounding areas, commercial property owners seem in no hurry to lease their spaces. That in itself is not unheard of - the property appreciates in value irrespective of tenancy. But more surprisingly, those businesses leasing spaces don't even seem to need to open their businesses very often. They clearly don't have a financial imperative to. Which means their monthly rent must be tiny.

I mean, the lease on that place just up from the petrol station on Kirkdale was advertised at around £18,000 per year. Someone took on the lease about 6 months ago. "MMSar" or something like that? I see the sign every time I catch the bus. During those six months they've put up a sign and a big corrugated shutter. That's it. Wouldn't be surprised if that shutter never opens an inch.

I'm starting to wonder whether I should open a business in Sydenham/Penge. It doesn't really matter what, the rent must be so cheap it's irrelevant.
mosy

Post by mosy »

monkeyarms wrote:...[clip]...
I'm starting to wonder whether I should open a business in Sydenham/Penge. It doesn't really matter what, the rent must be so cheap it's irrelevant.
Just for info, Hunters estate agents, the shop at the corner of Silverdale says in a notice that it's moving to Regent House on Kirkdale. It's a good location if you're interested ;) I think it's the business rates rather than the rent that you'd have too watch out for. Rates are rarely shown but I was staggered when a shopkeeper told me his, so it's a miracle any of them survive. Bromley used to have lower rates so the Alexandra Pub might not be too bad.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Most councils are understaffed. Especially planning departments. I know some of the officers at Bromley and trust me, they really do care, they are some of the best officers in any of the many councils I've worked with.

I'm sure some of the people in Penge have objected. But the issue here is the developer.

But planning is outdated and doesn't really work for high streets and shops, it needs to change.

As for opening a business in Sydenham, if it's genuinely different and you can establish a reputation and it's based on your passion, then I bet you can make it work.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

A new tenant/manager has now been found for the Alex and an opening date set of end January. It's Jozef, who recently managed the Antic pubs the Sheverdine Goathouse (S Norwood) and Goldsmiths (Penge). It'll be a bistro pub with craft beers, upmarket lagers, wine and of course, food.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Sounds good

Looking forward to trying it out
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

While I'm on, Southey Brewing Co, who are half of the former Late Knights and now operating out of the old LK brewery, have their first efforts on sale at the Alex Nurseries on Thursday 1st December pm.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's really good news. He's a top bloke and did a great job in Penge.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'm glad someone brought this up. Every time I walk past the place I think: "I thought this was supposed to be a conservation area. How come they've been able to knock out the old windows and replace them with floor-to-ceiling glass?" I guess I assumed the conservation area was the opposite side of the road only.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The conservation area is the other side of the road. It doesn't cover the pub.

Penge is really on the up. There is some really exciting stuff happening there.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Really? What have I been missing out on?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Lee is correct. Everything is relative and it was a low starting point but in the last two to three years:

New community events:
- Halloween Trail and Easter Trail events for children on High Street. Both attracted 100s of families
- Penge Day - a large community event in August
- Pengelicious, a new market for food and beer (one so far will become more regular in 2017)
- Penge Food Assembly (weekly market for foods straight from source. Its launch was busiest ever in any Food Assembly history)
- Launch of Penge Tourist Board, local community group with website, Twitter and 5300+ Facebook group and Social events
- Various arts and craft groups launched with events and some amazing street art.

Bridge House Theatre - award winning and popular West End standard venue in SE20
Goldsmiths revamped
Alexandra Nurseries (this maybe 4 years old but hey ho)
Sicilian Art Pizzeria wins Timeout's Crystal Palace Restaurant of Year 2016
Friends of Flavours wins Timeout's Crystal Palace Restaurant of Year 2015
New brewery opens in Southey Street (replacing Late Knights)
Douglas Fir pub opens in Anerley

Future:
Alex pub re-opens in January as a very very smart pub bistro. I've seen pictures of work so far. Looks amazing
Liman and Turner, new Antic bar/cafe/restaurant opening on High Street some time after March

I've probably forgotten something but that'll do for starters
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

The Penge Means Business thing too:
http://pengetouristboard.co.uk/penge-me ... gn-up-now/

There's just a general sense of genuine interest in the High Street; coupled with a bit of savvy than us Sydenham residents.
alywin

Post by alywin »

That's good to hear: I can't say I'd been aware of most of it :)