Former resident

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lane

Former resident

Post by lane »

Hi all,
Just joined this forum hoping to get some likeminded people to remember the good old days of what it was like living in Sydenham. Also because I've always regarded the place as home even though i've lived in many different places since then. (I guess it was the happy childhood). I lived in the flats at Milverton house, Perry Hill (opposite the Gas works) from c1961- 1972 ( are they still there?). I then joined the military, and only returned for leave periods for the next couple of years until my parents moved away from the area.
I've not been back or seen how the areas developed since around 1974. ( I'm now 51yrs old!!). I used to go to Forest hill school on Dacres road, and when off school like all kids used to roam the streets. ( They were safe in those days and I never came across any trouble). I reckon I knew every street for miles around like the back of my hand.
I remember the Granada cinema and how my elder brother used to put some of my mums eyebrow pencil on my top lip to make me look older in order to sneak me into watching X films as they were known then. Ahh happy days.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

What you paid to go into the Granada!
All you had to do was put your hand through the letter box on the exit doors, pull the bar and you could then get in for nothing :lol:

(so I am told :wink: )
Annie

Post by Annie »

Yes Milverton house is still there,so is the gas holder.
what number did you live at?
or is that to personal.
lane

Post by lane »

Hi,
Not at all, it was No.17. We had a great view from the balcony, as I believe there were five floors and we were on the fourth. All us kids from Milverton House and Ardley Close got on pretty well. ) None of this binge drinking drug taking violent culture we have today).
I also remember the Salvation Army hall and small group of shops down the road at Perry Rise. I also used to witness many fatal R.T.A's as cars came around the bend to fast prior to the gas works. Not a very nice sight for a kid, but sadly a regular occurrence.