Machrays Phamacy

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
yummymummy

Machrays Phamacy

Post by yummymummy »

Walked past the old Machrays Pharmacy yesterday and saw a let by sign! anyone know who is been let to and for what????
Willy

Post by Willy »

Hopefully a Pound Shop... :D
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

...or a quarter of a pound of liquorice comforts shop! :wink:
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Either way, that's really positive

I normally walk up the road in a total grump, but I walked along the high street on Monday and (maybe it was just cos the sun was out and it wasnt grey) but I actually thought the high street looked a teeny bit better...

Wishful thinking?
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

A few less bags of rubbish on the street corners helps to make the place look a lot better. I've been corner watching for the past couple of weeks and have noticed a great improvement.

Has Lewisham cracked the problem of high street rubbish collection at long last? Fingers crossed.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I will have to pay more attention to Machrays Pharmacy now!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope they keep the shop front, it would be a disaster if they got destroyed it and fitted a 'tacky aluminium generic lets make all our high streets look the same' shop front and roller shutters.

Roller shutters make our high streets look like something out of a mad max film.
poppy

Machrays chemist

Post by poppy »

Totally agree about the shutters. The semi-visible ones are not sooo bad but the the complete ones are terrible. It does look like a riot is expected on the high street every night! I also don't understand why some businesses feel it necessary to erect a wall of steel and others absolutely nothing at all! It does not seem related to what they sell either. Maybe it's for insurance? But it's a missed opportunity really for advertising because all those people who are walking to the station in the morning around 8 and coming home around 5.30 or 6 can't see what these shops are selling!
nannyjacks

Post by nannyjacks »

My late Dad was the chemist who ran A.B Makepeaces at 264 Sydenham Road and I was born over the shop in 1945 .He was great friends with the chap who ran Machrays
Can anyone remember Brian McCarthy who owned and ran a sweetshop a couple of doors down from Makepeaces .he was a lovely man along with his wife Maggie I think he died from a heart attack at a relatively young age .He used to try and open up his cellar as a youth club but I think too many folk complained about it .He just wanted to get the youth of Sydenham of the streets circa 1960-65 They lived in Sheenwood and I think at one time he used to race motorcycles
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was told that it was going to be yet another hairdressers but as the to let sign has gone back in the window I presume that it's back on the market.

Hopefully we can get it filled.