Old, very heavy, wall mirrors vs plasterboard wall

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mosy

Old, very heavy, wall mirrors vs plasterboard wall

Post by mosy »

Any ideas for hanging two lovely old mirrors that will probably bring the partition wall down? One is backed with 3-ply board, one with 1/2" hardwood, hence extra heavy (since mirror glass is heavy anyway). The backs appear to be secured to the morror by unscrewable clips.

Sizewise, they're about 18" square, except fancily shaped so not square, but that's OK as I have an electric saw that can cut new shapes if changing the wood is a plan.

I'm not convinced that one of those 1cm metal twizzle rawl plugs would hold either mirror.

Any ideas at all would be welcome.
Ta
JRW

Re: Old, very heavy, wall mirrors vs plasterboard wall

Post by JRW »

Difficult one, but you need to attach a batten or a bracket to the wall, which the mirror can sit on and will bear its weight. A wooden batten will allow you to put screws into each timber, and help spread the load. Then, the mirror plates are just to secure it's position, not bearing all the weight. Probably an idea to test the weight- bearing capability of the batten before installing the mirror!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks JRW, clearly you know what I mean. I was hoping to avoid a batten or shelf though. I could screw it through into the brickwork of an outside wall successfully, even though it won't be where I wanted it, but at least I wouldn't need to be worrying about it. I might just prop it (both) on a chest of drawers on an A easel for now until I decide...
JRW

Post by JRW »

You might be able to find a metal radiator mounting bracket or right- angled metal something, with a thin profile. Screw one side to the wall, and the other side can support the mirror, with the screws etc hidden behind the mirror. HiYou could paint it to camouflage, copying the underside of the mirror, so the one visible edge would be practically invisible. A single long continuous bracket would draw the attention less than two separate ones. Best to check the weight of the mirror, so you can check the bracket will stand the weight. Sydenham DIY are great for this kind of lateral thinking challenge. Go and rummage around. Good luck!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks again. Looks like I need to make a list of possibilities and then whittle it down to most aesthetic and fewest holes in the wall. I'll let you know what the winner is, er, eventually methinks.