Sydenham Book Group

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
JRobinson

Sydenham Book Group

Post by JRobinson »

Are you interested in joining a local book group that doesn’t take itself too seriously?

If so we’re looking for new members. We meet once a month on the last Wednesday, and discuss the book for that month. We then make a choice of book to read and discuss in two months time. We take it in turns to nominate a short list each month, so we often read books that we might not have thought of reading ourselves.
We currently meet in The Golden Lion, it’s quiet enough to hear our discussion, but we are open to meeting at other venues.
If you’re interested, reply here, or send me a pm.
Many Thanks

J R
squid

Re: Sydenham Book Group

Post by squid »

Hi there
I am interested in joining your book club so could you let me know what I need to do/read? Would it be easier to make contact via email?
Very best wishes
Sian
Sydenham
stuart

Re: Sydenham Book Group

Post by stuart »

Hi Squid - it would be great to have you aboard. This month's meeting is at 7:30 at The Golden Lion on Wednesday 27th February. The book is Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis. It was a satirical written in 1926 about a american evangelist who gets corrupted by sex and politics. Nowt changed?

A copy will be on the table so we are easy to find.

I've nicked the only copy from a local library so ebay may be your best bet. Its a bit longer than the usual book we do so I hope it doesn't put you off. We usually have a good laugh about the books and their authors. Serious we are not.

Stuart