Best Breakfast in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Dom Johnston

Best Breakfast in Sydenham

Post by Dom Johnston »

Couldn't find a thread on this, and it being a vitally important topic, thought one should get started!

Any shout outs for a decent full English/ Brekky bap/ Smashed Avo on toast (if that's your jam...) in Sydenham.

I've only tried Dilz Cafe so far. Had the Dilz Special. Not a fan of eggs, so swapped for more bacon and bought an extra sausage. Total was £9.50 including tea and 2 slices of toast. Hell of a serving and one for the hungry. My only criticism, which seems to be a common theme for cafes in the area, was that the quality of the sausage wasn't great and reminded a bit of school dinner sausages circa 95. Everything else was great though. Bacon was tasty, mushrooms a plenty, bubble was a nice addition, hash browns were decent and a good supply of beans and tasty (if a little overdone) black pud. I would recommend, but unless you're very hungry, maybe stick to a smaller version. Service was great!

Any other recommendation and breakfast reviews would be great!

Good eating!
KEVD

Re: Best Breakfast in Sydenham

Post by KEVD »

For a full English I always go to Chefs Delight. Food and service always very good. Normally quick at getting the food to you which is a plus for me. Generous portions also.

If there are other good options elsewhere I'm willing to try.
mikej

Post by mikej »

On The Hoof is the place! Quality ingredients - including sausages. Excellent coffee, nice vibe, lovely staff. It's maybe a little more expensive than Dilz and Chef's Delight, but you get what you pay for.
People also recommend the veggie breakfast, though I've not tried it myself!

Try it!

Great idea for a thread, Dom!
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

The 'Jamaican' breakfast at Cobbs Corner is pants down the number one best breakfast in the whole world, let alone Sydenham
gurka

Post by gurka »

Zigghy Cafe that just opened on Sydenham Road next to Trattoria Raffaele is excellent if your into Mediterranean breakfasts, it's clean, excellent staff and the prices are brilliant would highly recommend it.
VinceHarada

Post by VinceHarada »

Have anyone tried the Pedler? I saw it recommended on Yelp (but all reviews are from 2015, which make me abit skeptical). my blog, food blog and review site.
Last edited by VinceHarada on 5 Jan 2020 01:44, edited 3 times in total.
milton

Post by milton »

Can no-one in SE26 cook themselves bacon eggs and sausages in the mornings then?

£10 quid for that?

or 50 quid a week? assuming 5 days out the week you are paid too much.

'£200 per month you could get someone to come to your house and cook it and still be quids in.

cheap bacon, unidentified sauages, cooked in fat, I bet you pay out as much again in indigestion remedies.
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

It's not a matter of not being able to, but convenience. That's what you pay for... I'm guessing by this logic that you never eat food outside of your home then?

Who would possibly do it 5 days a week too? I suppose it's true what they say about when you assume... treating yourself to something once in a while or just being able to afford something doesn't mean that you're paid too much. Let's say I was a transplant surgeon, would you then assume that I get paid too much to be able to buy myself breakfast?

Thanks for an unnecessary post, Milton. Absolute stellar contribution... :roll:
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

I was wondering if anybody has tried the cafe in Mayo park for their breakfast? I'm probably going to head out somewhere on Saturday for a good old breakfast, I'll be sure to report back. Pretty sure this is as important as news gets. I can't think of anything else going on anywhere that impacts people as much at the moment...
sophie

Post by sophie »

The cafe in Mayow Park is good but a little pricey compared to a regular greasy spoon. The quality is good though. It does get very busy so getting there early helps.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The Hill Top Cafe (opposite The Greyhound) has daily and frequent regulars and their Full English platefuls do look good. A lot of retired people are fairly regular breakfast or lunch eaters at cafes too incidentally, so it's worth keeping an eye on which are the busy ones.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

milton wrote: 10 Apr 2019 17:27 Can no-one in SE26 cook themselves bacon eggs and sausages in the mornings then?

I happily confess that I prefer my own breakfast. I always find that the quality of some of the parts (particulalry the sausages) in cafe's not to my liking. So i get my Smoked Bacon from Billings as well as free range eggs, Cumberland Sausages from Tesco, BRANSTON baked beans (caps intended, if you have always habitually used Heinz like I used to, I challenge you to try Branston, I tried them once and have never looked back) and a crusty loaf of bread from the bakers. It's not like it takes more than 15-20 mins to cook it, but you get the quality you want and cheaper.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Going to agree with you on the beans, Parker1970. Always bought Heinz beans, but noticed recently they were getting more and more insipid. Tried Branson beans based on a taste test I saw somewhere and they are DELICIOUS and the way I remember Heinz used to be.
GFA

Post by GFA »

Parker1970 wrote: 12 Apr 2019 14:49
milton wrote: 10 Apr 2019 17:27 Can no-one in SE26 cook themselves bacon eggs and sausages in the mornings then?

BRANSTON baked beans (caps intended, if you have always habitually used Heinz like I used to, I challenge you to try Branston, I tried them once and have never looked back).
Rachael wrote: 12 Apr 2019 17:00 Going to agree with you on the beans, Parker1970. Always bought Heinz beans, but noticed recently they were getting more and more insipid. Tried Branson beans based on a taste test I saw somewhere and they are DELICIOUS and the way I remember Heinz used to be.
I am so pleased to see the comments about Branston beans and couldn't agree more with both of you about them. I switched to them a couple of years ago now when Heinz clearly started to fiddle with the ingredients and I noticed a weird taste each time I ate them. The Branston ones definitely remind me of how Heinz used to be !!
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

So I had my breakfast in the cafe in Mayow park on Saturday morning.

I went for the B&G breakfast and swapped my egg of another sausage. £8.95. Quality of the ingredients was good, but I do have some issues...

The plate was way too small for the 4 pieces of toast to go on with everything else, definitely should've been on a side plate. Sausages were OK quality but I would've liked them whole, rather than sliced in half. The menu said rocket which, for me has no place on a cooked breakfast, but I thought as a garnish, it can be simply moved, however, there was a small rainforest in the middle of my plate taking up the space that I could've emptied my ramekin of beans into. Herby tomato was strange, just a plain one would suffice. Also, a severe lack of mushroom, black or white pudding, bubble or hash brown and had I not swapped my egg for another sausage, £9 is too much just to have one with the aforementioned ingredients missing.

Bacon was good.

6/10
marymck

Post by marymck »

Café Jasmine on Kirkdale. An unsung hero. Unpretentious. Great value (you can get a decent breakfast for less than the price of a cup of designer coffee in some establishments). Great food and drink. Very, genuinely friendly.

Menu here ...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... tdI0cH1GSI

Some reviews here ...

[urlhttps://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review ... gland.html][/url]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How good are the sausages, Mary?
marymck

Post by marymck »

Sorry Admin but I don't know. I don't eat sausages. Everything I've tried has been fab. Most often I choose mushrooms on toast.