Birds and Birders, SE26

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tim Lund

Birds and Birders, SE26

Post by Tim Lund »

I've met several birders in Sydenham recently, either in person and electronically, and I was wondering if anyone compiles a list of species locally. There's a good professional site maintained by the BTO http://blx1.bto.org/gbw-dailyresults/re ... GBGLO.html which collates reports from across Greater London, but how about something more local? If we can get some pictures the admin suggest we could put up a feature on it here. In the meantime, here a link to a post I just put up on my site with my initial list.

http://lund.co.uk/blog/?p=7

I think my favorite was the spectacular green woodpecker I saw taking off from my garden - first time I'd seem one in London, although my neighbour told me they were about.

Tell me about your sightings here, by PM or comments on my blog.
The Eagle

Re: Birds and Birders, SE26

Post by The Eagle »

Tim Lund wrote: I think my favorite was the spectacular green woodpecker I saw taking off from my garden - first time I'd seem one in London, although my neighbour told me they were about.

Tell me about your sightings here, but PM or comments on my blog.
Loads of green woodpeckers in Sydenham Hill woods and on Dulwich Golf Course; also black and white ones; and hundreds of parakeets.

There is a Wood Pecker near me (Hall Drive) heard him banging away at 5.30 this morning
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Pigeon's, there are pigeon's every bloody where.................................
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

There's an owl in the woods at the top of Wells Park Road (maybe more than one). From where I live I hear it hooting every night and I have even seen it once.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

See green woodpeckers every now and agian and the odd Kestral
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

The 2008 Mayow Park Bird walk - well, that was a nice way to start a weekend - sunny and not too cold. About twenty five people and several pairs of binoculars. I’m going to leave it to Peter to get back to me with the complete list of birds seen - he has a record from not just this but also previous years’ walks. Two new species to add to the list of birds seen in Sydenham:

* Stock dove
* Fieldfare

For the rest, see http://lund.co.uk/blog/?p=7 - which I guess I should organise better now, and which might in due course turn into a contribution to the Sydenham Society newsletter or a feature on this site. My favourite was probably the nuthatch. I’m so impressed by the people who can pick out birds by their calls - great tits, greenfinches, nuthatches. Doubtless not that impressive to serious birders, but to the extent I can identify them, I feel that much more awake when out and about. Of course, while at the front the more attentive of us were peering up, arms stretched out saying - “Just gone behind that branch - oh no, there he is, just flown off!” the less attentive at the back were getting on with their serious SydSoc networking.

Watch this space for another bird walk led by Paul, South Norwood Country Park, sometime in May, with chiffchaffs and warblers guaranteed.