Thinking about moving to the area

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
PeterP

Thinking about moving to the area

Post by PeterP »

Hi everyone, me and my wife are thinking about buying in the area. We are currently renting around Fulham so we are nervous first-time buyers :)

We first started looking around Forest Hill and saw some properties along the streets parallel to Cranston road. We weren’t 100% sure as it felt a bit too far from the station. Then we saw a few towards Sydenham; one on Collingtree road; one on Byne road which we quite liked.

Any recommendations/suggestions on areas to avoid or any other areas to focus? we don’t have kids at the moment but we might in future so school proximity I guess is another consideration. Any other thoughts very much appreciated. Thanks.
Tadpole

Re: Thinking about moving to the area

Post by Tadpole »

Hi Peter

I've lived on Collingtree Road since '93 and I'm happy to answer any questions on the road or the area.

It's difficult to say where is good or bad in any area because people can have differing opinions.
North and south London can have a different feel/vibe so renting prior to buying could be a good idea.

Annie
sydenhamgardener2

Post by sydenhamgardener2 »

I too am on Collingtree. Nice quiet road but still close to station, a useful small Sainsburys, a PureGym and a nice pub (the Greyhound). You are well situated for parks too, with Wells park and Mayow park close by.
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Many thanks to you both; much appreciated. We are not too worried about south vs north vibe as we’ve been a few times now and we liked the feel of the place. We were wondering a few things about the Collingtree road; are the residents mostly families? Also any issues with parking as it’s free parking apparently? We’ve heard about some noisy house parties in the area (not on Collingtree road); has this been a nuisance for you at all? Thanks again for all your help.
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

The road is a mixture of people. Singles, couples, families etc. Some new to the road and others like me, here for years.

Parking was never a problem until the 24 hour gym opened some years ago. Pre lockdown it was busy in the evenings but even then on the odd evening parking in Kinver or Peak hill was possible.Since it reopened it's not been a problem.

No parties that are a problem. Can only think of 2 in the road over the last year and both finished 11ish and no loud music, just bad but happy singing!

It's generally a quiet and friendly road. Some keep to themselves others friendly and sociable. There is a street whatsapp group too now.
Last edited by Tadpole on 24 Aug 2020 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

If parking is a particular issue for you, Byne road can get very bad. Well pre lockdown. As can getting out of the local roads because of the queues on Newlands Park unless you head towards Penge way. I had a friend who lived there for several years so that's as much as I know about it.

Remember to view the areas you're considering on a Friday or Saturday night too. And not just the roads you're thinking about, drive around the area and then park up and walk.

The walk to the train station from Collingtree is 4 mins to the rear entrance going towards London and 6 mins to main station going south. Well it is for me. Someone fitter than me can probably do it quicker!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Knighton Park, Elvina, Broseley Grove and Hillmore Grove are nice roads and quiet.
simon

Post by simon »

I agree with Pally. Parking is ok too there.
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Many thanks all for your really helpful messages. We shall continue with our search and might come back with more questions. hope that’s okay :)
alywin

Post by alywin »

Are you looking for houses, flats or both?
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

We are looking for houses.