Schools

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Monica

Schools

Post by Monica »

Hi all,

I don't know if this topic has been done to death or not, and apologies if it is, but does anyone have any info on what state schools in the area are any good (or not so good)? I know, I know, read the Ofsted reports etc, but I don't think they really tell you what other parents can about theirs and their children's experiences of places.

Thanks. I'm trying my best to be one of these 'on it' parents, but it doesn't come naturally!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Primary, secondary? If its secondary boys - you may find this thread of interest: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2105

Admin
Monica

Post by Monica »

Thanks admin, yes I've seen that. I'm thinking of junior school, and I have a girl.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I have to say that - if you can afford it - by far the best local-ish school is Alleyns. Such a happy, such a simply civilised school. In addition it has great results, wonderful sport, art, drama, D of E, CCF, etc. And it takes boys and girls. Truly remarkable. I have never regretted sending my kids there (though it cost an arm and a leg!)
Monica

Post by Monica »

Thanks for that, yes, I'm aware of Alleyn's reputation. Any tips on how to guarantee a place there? From what I understand there's a viper's nest of competition to get in, it's not just about having the money.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I don't klnow how to guarantee a place! You child has to be bright and do well in the entrance exam. Get hold of the papers the school gives as examples, and get a good tutor and give them plenty of practice at the maths english and verbal and non-verbal reasoning. The last gave me a headache when I was training my kids up for this. We had a tutor for the maths only in fact as my wife is good at english. Make sure they have a couple of other schools entrance exams that they take before they do the Alleyns one (as a kind of mock - that's important I believe.)
That seemed to do it for us. Let me know if there's anything else.
Best wishes
poppy

Schools

Post by poppy »

Are all these tests to enter primary school at 4-5?
mikej

Post by mikej »

No way!
This is for entry at 11+
poppy

schools

Post by poppy »

Ok, it's just Monica is asking about junior schools so was a bit confused...
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

For State Primary schools, then St. Barts (CofE), Eliot Bank and St. Philip Neri (RC) have the best results and IMHO the best reputation.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/e ... gg_209.stm

There's a large A4 booklet that Lewisham produce (in the Autumn Term?) which you can look at in the library. It lists all the options in Lewisham with all the criterea and the catchment areas (in metres, so you'll have to work it out "as the crow flies"!). You can pick up copies at the primary schools you apply for. You can visit the schools you're interested in during the Spring Term (Jan-March) and pick up the Lewisham Application Form at the same time. The deadline's usually in March and you hear by post on 1st May. Only 10.5 days to go! :?
Monica

Post by Monica »

Thanks so much, everyone, that's all really useful. She'll be going to school in 2009, so hopefully I'm not too disorganised at this point!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Monica, if private is an option for you, then Sydenham High School on Westwood Hill, is pretty unbeatable.

We have looked at the options for our little girl (who will also start proper school in 2009) and they really get a fantastic write up and recommendations from parents all over the area.

Some of the schools around Dulwich have a reputation for being over competitive, but Sydenham High is known for being very nurturing, and not a 'hot house' as I have heard can be the case elsewhere.

I know it's not cheap (nowhere is) but, from the feedback my wife has had (including having detailed conversation with teachers in many of the nurseries and prep schools) Sydenham High is held in very high esteem.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Absolutely, Fishcox - my daughter goes to Sydenham High Junior school and we hold it in high esteem. Emphasis is on learning through helping each other and celebrating each other's acheivements and not competitive at all. There are provisions for dyslexia and other dificulties if they arise - very few academic schools offer this support. The school is anti tutoring and offers extra work if your daughter needs more of a challenge.

Worth mentioning is the new nursery due to open in January 2009 for 2.5 years+, plus a new playground and reception classrooms in September.
There'll be open days in October/November for applications for Sept '09.

Saying that, the state primaries I mentioned earlier are some of the best in Lewisham - it depends on what suits your child at the end of the day.
Good luck!
Jwana

Post by Jwana »

Hi there - I just wanted to say that I approached ALL the private secondary schools in the Sydenham / Dulwich areas to try & get a place for my 14 year old daughter who is coming to the UK from Australia later this year & all of them refused her a place either because they wouldn't take a student who had already commenced high school or for other dubious reasons. This is despite my daughter having excellent grades & reports from her high school in Aust. I have been absolutely shocked at the rigid attitude of schools here compared to Aust. & after approaching more than 20 schools I could only find her a place in a school a long, long way from our home all the way in the north London!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
(quote -------------not competitive at all)

IS THAT GOOD?

life is competitive surely?
Monica

Post by Monica »

Thanks everyone, particularly for your comments on Sydenham Girls Junior school. To be honest, that is absolutely our first choice, but I'm just aware there are no guarantees so I thought I should get organised about at least knowing what the alternatives are. I feel sick every time I think about this stuff!
Janeco

Schools

Post by Janeco »

To Jwana who could not get a local private school place for her 14 year old daughter - did you try St Dunstan's? If so, I am surprised they would not take her. As several private schools have been mentioned I would just like to recommend this one - we looked at several for our sons and this came out top with us and them (though yes I did love Alleyns as well). St D. is also co-ed and they offer IB in the 6th form which is a challenging alternative to A levels (and you have to do a language).
mikej

Post by mikej »

Jwana,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. You were probably just very unlucky. If a school doesn't have a vacancy, then they won't offer you a place. It's not that they are being deliberately obnoxious. They are often very over-subscribed, so if a "casual vacancy" should come up at age 14, then they might offer it to someone who was on a waiting list, someone who perhaps just missed out at 11 or 13(if they have a 13+ entry that is).
Sometimes, though persistance pays. Don't give up, keep pestering them. they'll soon realise you are keen. You'd have to take an entrance test though.