Moving to Sydenham/Please help with advice

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Vens

Moving to Sydenham/Please help with advice

Post by Vens »

Hello,

I would like to seek some advice from the community on a possible move to Sydenham. My wife and I found a family home at a good price where we think we would be happy. At first we were very keen to move, but then we started having doubts over the safety of the immediate surrounding area. The house is within Wells Park Estate, just off Wells Park Road, 3 minutes walking time from the park which is lovely. But I was wondering whether Wells Park Estate and the Well Park Road area are a bit rough and if we should expect trouble if we move there. We have a small child 18-months so we are interested what parents in the community think of the nursery and school options and in general if this is a good neighbourhood to raise a family?

I realise that my worries may be totally unfounded that is why I am interested to hear from people who live in the area to share their experiences and views. Many thanks.
stuart

Re: Moving to Sydenham/Please help with advice

Post by stuart »

I really can't speak for the estate itself because I don't live there or pass through in unsocial hours so I will leave it to others to comment. I do use Sydenham Wells Park and regularly walk my young grand kids there and feel very comfortable. Never seen any problem beyond an odd e-scooter going too fast ;-)

But even better is Sydenham Hill Wood opposite which is one of London's great but lesser known jewels. Fantastic for small kids and nature lovers: https://www.wildlondon.org.uk/nature-re ... -coxs-walk from which you can ssee you can claim to live in Dulwich - or Dulwich Borders as the more conservative of us prefer ...

It may be a council estate but you would need to pay a small fortune to live nearly as close. And for afters you have the excellent Dulwich Wood House and gardens. But don't take my word for it, try it. I've walked home from there past the estate many times without trepidation.

The nice thing about Sydenham is its diversity - council/rented property, traditional semis and some exotic stuff all mixed up together. The complete opposite of surburbia or urbania.

Stuart
mkoala

Post by mkoala »

We have lived in Sydenham in a block of flats the other side of Wells Park estate for over 10 years. Never had any problems with crime,, including car crime. And because social housing is so scarce most of our neighbours have lived here for 20 years.

The TNG youth club will sometimes attract young people after hours hanging outside, but they're hanging around and chatting. Young people can be loud when they're together

I think that if you're the sort of person that worries about living on an estate or in any kind of former social housing it's probably not for you.
Vens

Post by Vens »

Thank you, Stuart and Mkoala, for the comments. That's really helpful.

@Mkoala, we are not any "sort of person", former social housing does not bother us in the slightest. Where we come from some of the most expensive and fancy residential buildings look like the social housing blocks of flats in London. In fact we lived in an ex-council block of flats in Brockley for years and it was fantastic, but our landlord sold the flat recently. What we are concerned about is violent crime, burglaries, and availablility of schools etc, so deicded it wouldn't hurt to ask people who live locally before making such a significant commitment.

So far your comments are positive which is great. More comments would be very welcome and appreciated.
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

Hi. I don't know whether you've tried this but you can search the Met police website for recent crimes in a particular area. ADT picks up the same info on their site and it's easier to use, just search for 'crime in my area' or something like that.