The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Ah the Dolphin...
I went past it the other night and could feel the threat of violence in the air. It always seems to be under new management each time I pass. I feel sorry for the owners as they seem to open up and try new ideas but no-one goes in and then they have to revert to 'themed' nights to drag the regulars back in.
I am not sure where they get the people from (doubtless the estates of Bell Green and Catford) but all I know is that when you consider the amount of affluent young professionals in the Thorpes and the Mayor Park area coupled with those in Knighton Park and Trewsbury Road IF ONLY they would do something with the place...they would turn a good profit.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Whilst I agree that the Dolphin is underdeveloped and a not fulfilling its potential, I think that by implying its clientele are from council estates smacks of snobbery and gives the impression of a them and us situation. Of course the more money that is brought into the area impacts on the type of establishment you will start to see in Sydenham and from my previous postings my feelings about regeneration are well known. Simple economics will win the day every time. The minute an establishment is opened that people are happy to use and feel safe in, they will use it.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

yeah, i agree with you global - it was a bit of a snobby comment.

from previous threads it is obvious that there is a general shabbiness about most of the pubs in sydenham.

forest hill, has already started to see some of its pubs improve, and it can only be a matter of time before there is a knockon effect in sydenham.

if anyone disagrees, i'll set my tracksuited staffordshire bull terrier on them.
Newman

Post by Newman »

It's not my favourite pub, but I've been in the Dolphin a few times and can't say that I've felt the threat of violence in the air. It's also pretty busy whenever I've been there.

As for your comment that, "I am not sure where they get the people from (doubtless the estates of Bell Green and Catford)." Well, how dare these people be seen out having a drink and enjoying themselves. Only us affluent young professionals should be allowed to do that!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I don't think that Greg completely deserves the amount of stick he is getting for regretting that most local pubs, the Dolphin especially, are generally full of kids from local council estates. Of course, no-one denies the right of the comparatively less well-off to go out any enjoy themselves. But if anyone feels we can regenerate this area in the way most of us want without attracting the affluent middle class to local businesses we're living in cloud-cuckoo land. Where do all of those well-off people you see pouring out of Sydenham station go to enjoy themselves? At the moment it isn't to many of the attractions of Sydenham Road.

And before anyone writes in telling me that the Lokal, Gurkas etc etc are wonderful places, I know, I know - there just aren't enough of them.
Newman

Post by Newman »

I actually think he's getting off pretty lightly for his sweeping generalisations. But then, in your case, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as you do exactly the same thing ("most local pubs, the Dolphin especially, are generally full of kids from local council estates" - what?!?)

Yes, Sydenham could do with a better mix of pubs and bars. And your point about the middle classes arriving in the area is noted. Although I have to say that I see a wide range of people flooding in and out of the station of a morning/evening, not just affluent young professionals.

Forest Hill has proved that you can have a successful mixture of traditional boozers and more upmarket winebars etc. Let's hope that Sydenham goes down the same route and that those of us who enjoy the threat of violence in the air aren't robbed of our facilities. :lol:
megan

Post by megan »

Greg, Sydenham is a poor area so you will get a complete mix of people, as for where do these people come from must be catford and bell green well your wrong, they are from Sydenham, we have our fair share of estates, mayow park, dacres road, wells park estate and the roads around the train station. Sydenham can only get better, it may take some time but it will happen you only have to look at east dulwich and forest hill for there pub situation. The Dolphin has always had it problems thats why it was shut down orginally only to open as a theme pub, and then that shut down!! fingers crossed the pub situation changes!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

My comments did smack of snobbery, yes. As for getting of lightly Newman, what's to do? That's my view and it's a open forum, it wasn't a comment intended to incite - not that I care at all that it has. They are not generalisations but based on what I see and I am entitled to air them.

Megan, yes we have in Sydenham our quota of estates but I disagree entirely that it is a poor area - particularly compared with the parts of London I initially mentioned. Everyone has their own view though, true the higher up the hill you go the more expensive Sydenham becomes (noted examples aside).

My comment was mainly based in frustration. The fact reamins that The Dolphin has a prime catchement area surrounded as it is by the 4 streets I listed (doubtless there are more) - yet is rarely (ever?) used by the young professionals who are moving in en masse. Let's break it down to it's most simple denominator...

The many suits you see in the morning, how many do you see eating or drinking anywhere in Sydenham other than the Lokal?

It's not as if we really prefer spending the whole day in the concreted noise/traffic polluted jungle that is C.London, and that is the whole point. The right type of customer for, say Gastro-pubs and coffee shops is now in place in Sydenham just not enough of the right type of establishments.
Newman

Post by Newman »

Greg, I actually agree with most of the points you make. I also hope that Sydenham gets some much needed diversity re. its pubs/bars. But not at the expense of the traditional pub, as has happened in many parts of London where the middle classes have moved in in their droves.

As for the Dolphin, it seems to be doing OK with its current customer base, without having to cater for the gastro-pubs and coffee shops brigade. Whenever I've been in there, it's been busy enough. After all, the council estate kids need something to do when they're bunking off school.
leaf

Post by leaf »

what people need to remember is that sydenham isnt dulwich!

just because the snobs cant yet afford to buy in dulwich doesnt mean they can try to turn sydenham into a 'village'

if you dont want to rub shoulders with the commoners.....move!
stop pricing locals out of the area by trying to turn syd into something it isnt!
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Ah lots of posts about Dulwich vs Sydenham - I too am an ex-Dulwich girl moved to Sydenham for a more reasonably priced flat and good transport access. Only been here a week so not yet tried out the pubs... Which one should I try first? Which one is best for a quiet drink? Which one best for football?
I don't think it would be a bad thing if Sydenham became a bit more like Dulwich in terms of bars, restaurants but kept it's diversity (ED is still quite diverse it think.) Better ED than Clapham....
Are there any decent restaurants in Sydenham?
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

can't really recommend any pubs on sydenham high street. I tend to walk up to the Dulwich Woodhouse or down Dartmouth Road to the Question Bar or Dartmouth Arms. If i'm feeling really energetic i'll walk up to Crystal Palace and go to the White Hart.

Restaurants - they only one I go to on the high street is Gurkha's - very nice indian.

why don't all us middle class snobs club together and open a nice pub on sydenham high street?
leaf

Post by leaf »

why don't all us middle class snobs club together and open a nice pub on sydenham high street?

*because you'd never get enough customers!!

sydenham is a working class area,yes with a few middle class residents some who have been here many years,but ultimately you just wouldnt get enough people to keep a business running.
SAF

For Sale

Post by SAF »

The Dolphin has been on sale for some time (www.fleurets.com) so why not break open the piggy banks?
SamC

the dolphin

Post by SamC »

hi has anyone herd of dolphin showers.?
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Ears to the ground over the next month - quiet whispers on the street say that something very exciting could be happening.....

Dont forget you may have heard the rumours here on Sydenham Town web-site first!!!!
SAF

Post by SAF »

Maybe too late for budding entrepreneurs - check this link (needs to be on one line)

http://www.forumsvibe.com/foresthillonl ... thillonlin
sydenham Don

Post by sydenham Don »

What great news if this is true...

There is nothing wrong with a bit of diversity, having a pub like this can only be good news, surely!

I disagree Leaf, i think this type of establishment would work very well in Sydenham, not only for residents, but for those in the surrounding areas too. People actually coming to sydenham for a night out, now that would be a revelation!

Bring it on.

SD
leaf

Post by leaf »

good luck to who ever is going to run it,they'll certainly need it!!
:wink:

shame its in the sh1tty end of sydenham though :lol:
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Excuse me!!! The lower end of Sydenham is not sh**ty and I wish you wouldn't say things like that. :cry: