MOT Stations

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Andwar

MOT Stations

Post by Andwar »

Can anyone recommend a good garage for MOT's. I currently use Dartmouth Road Garage, they are resonable and efficent but was wondering if there are any others in the area.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There's Volkspares at the Sydenham Road end of Newlands Park
Tel 020 8778 7766.

Kwikfit do MOT's - there's one on the lefthand side of Sydenham Road going down towards Bell Green.

This lists a couple of local-ish ones also: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&um= ... sults&cd=1

HTH
simon

Post by simon »

I use Knighton Motors for MOTs myself, always had good service.
Here is an example: when I had an old shape Fiat Punto I had a hole in the lens of the rear brake light. I was expecting to have to have a new lens cluster fitted, which would cost about £60 for the parts, but the guy explained that as long as about 75% of the lens was there it would pass, so he used some tape to hold it together and blank off the hole. Saved mea good few quid.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Just wondering why you're thinking of anywhere but Dartmouth Road. Our car was MOT'd there today - been using them for many a year. Really good service and friendly etc. / flexible.

Nice link up with the crash repairers behind - so perfect for the bit of welding needed to be done to get the car through.

Good to hear of other garages with a good reputation though - but is there any reason to change?
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

If you want a proper MOT done, ie if your car passes you know it's been done to the letter of the law and things haven't just been glossed over so as not to upset anyone, the best MOTs in the area are done by Queens, just behind Homebase in Penge.

If you really want to know if your car is up to snuff, take it to them.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

We used a garage in East Dulwich who were brilliant. Fitted us in a day after we called and did the MOT whilst my wife waited (because she had children with her). They've been recommended to us by my brother who has used them for ages.

They're called Dell Autos and they're on Hansler Road, East Dulwich.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I agree with RebelMC - Queens behind Homebase is very good, I'd recommend them any time.
jackie

Post by jackie »

I've used Dartmouth Road for many years too and have always been very happy with the service. They do get pretty booked up early September as I discovered last year, I suppose because of 'change of reg' time
mosy

Post by mosy »

simon wrote:I use Knighton Motors for MOTs myself, always had good service.
Here is an example: when I had an old shape Fiat Punto I had a hole in the lens of the rear brake light. I was expecting to have to have a new lens cluster fitted, which would cost about £60 for the parts, but the guy explained that as long as about 75% of the lens was there it would pass, so he used some tape to hold it together and blank off the hole. Saved mea good few quid.
Does anyone hve a telephone number for Knighton Motors please? Is it the garage on the left of Sydenham Road near QwikFit?

Many thanks in advance.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

My experience of volkspares was very negative, not the mot mechanic but a behind-counter staff member
this was a few tears back though , he might of been sacked by now.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There was/is somone called John at Volkspares who mans the service desk who probably wouldn't win a John Barrowman smile-of-the-year contest, but he sure knows his stuff. :) You could be referring to someone else of course...