Fish and chips on a Sunday

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chazza

Fish and chips on a Sunday

Post by Chazza »

Can anyone recommend a decent chippie that opens on a Sunday? I've just trekked down to the chippie at Penge East station (closed), the one opposite Somerfield (closed) and Mermaid (also closed). I've got a craving for fish and chips but I can't find anyone who'll sell me them!
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Is the one opposite the Golden Lion open? I think it's the best in the area. Although it's not exactly up against stiff opposition.
sean

Post by sean »

Get a box of microwave chips and open your front room up for the day. Plenty of salt on mine please!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, I think for most local chippies (including Kentmen's on Kirkdale), Sunday is their day off (rather than fish markets not being open which is why many used to be closed on a Monday at one time).

Breaded fish, plus chips, aren't at all bad on a Suday from Chef's Delight, Selim's Kebabs and probably Wimpy (can't remember about them). All freshly cook to order :)

@ sean: Remember to take your own salt if buying from a chippy as you could be standing there for some time: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... akers.html :roll:
mosy

Post by mosy »

Re salt, I forgot:

Say "chip shop salt shakers" 6 times quick :lol: Or even once ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 1950 Shop Act prohibited large stores from opening on a Sunday. It did allow small shops to open on a Sunday with exceptions. One was fish'n'chip shops. You could, however, buy fish'n'chips from an Indian takeaway but not from a proper fish'n'chip shop. I remember that bizarre rule well.

I assumed that the reform of the act would have changed that. Maybe it is just the tradition they do not open on a Sunday.

Admin
mosy

Post by mosy »

I thought the rules for Sunday openings were different for those selling perishable goods, so I'd have thought that if a chippie wanted to open, it could find at least something perishable if it wanted to open. I doubt it's for a legal reason that they stay closed.

Probably more to do with the hours required to run a chippie aside from "opening hours", e.g. maintenance to drain / strain /replace the fat in fryers, clean up etc and sole proprietors probably just feel they're entitled to a day off. Probably easiest just to ask them...