Rev J W Millers & a school at Perry Hill c1840

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

Rev J W Millers & a school at Perry Hill c1840

Post by Guest »

Do you have any knowledge of Rev J W Millers, who had a school at Perry Hill, Sydenham in the late 1840s?

I can't find him in the Clergy Lists for the period and he wasn't at Oxford or Cambridge; and so I wondered if he was in some way connected with the Dissenters Chapel. Please don't bother to respond if you have recently had the same enquiry from a lady in the USA. If not, she will be very greatful for any information that helps her to fill in a gap in the life of one of her ancestors who went on to Addiscombe from Rev Millers's school in 1850?

Anthony (Cambridge)
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Rev Frederick William Miller was head of Perry Hill House School, in Perry Hill, from about 1847 until his death, aged 63, in 1853. He was buried in St Bartholomew's churchyard. Caroline (?his wife) was buried in 1860. Although the name doesn't quite match, five different sources give this spelling, including the PRO. They have a copy of his will, which you can search for here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Hope this is of some help

Steve

Post by Guest »

Brilliant! A wrong initial plus a wrong name certainly needed local
knowledge to interpret. Please pass on my thanks.

Good wishes
Anthony