ANY1 BEEN TO ELACHI OR RECOMMEND SOME GOOD LOCAL RESTAURANT?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mumofanangel

ANY1 BEEN TO ELACHI OR RECOMMEND SOME GOOD LOCAL RESTAURANT?

Post by mumofanangel »

Am looking for somewhere to go and eat locally (Indian), have already tried the recommendation on here already - Gara Masala (was great!) but would like to try another (ok I know this is in F/Hill). Feedback on Elachi would be great (got one of their flyers through the door today, looks fab, but looks can be deceiving hey!? and any other resturants (not necessarily Indian) locally as don't want to venture too far with the little one, the closer to home the better (don't want to stay in but don't want to go too far either.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Hi there,

There is a lovely Italian restaurant in Sydenham right at the top almost oppersite the windmill called Thats Amore the food is fab and the atmosphia is great in there on a weekend the owner sings and play the keyboard as you eat lots of classic dean martin and Frank sinatra songs.

There is also a tapas in Clockhouse called El Molino also very good you can go for Tapas or main menu i recommend tapas the spanish meatballs are great.

Gurkus in sydenham is also a very good Indian as well the food is always fresh and hot and they always make you feel welcome.

The Mexican is not bad either in Sydenham the food is ok (nothing to right home about) but it's a nice evening in there and they have some fab cocktails too.

Hope this helps
leaf

Post by leaf »

I have used Elachi a lot for delivery of their food, never been to the restaurant itself but the food is lovely slighty more expensive [only a bit] than other places but worth it in my opinion.

The food always tasted fresh and well flavoured.

They do a reward thingy as well for every takeaway meal you get over £20 you get a token...when you have 5 tokens you get free food to the value of £15 which makes up for the slight extra charge on dishes [compared to other local restaurants]

Lorenzos italian in crystal palace is also really nice, great value, nice food and family friendly, i have been there in the daytime with children and also evening without, they have 3 floors downstairs was more intimate we would eat downstairs when we were there without the children, in my opinion it is nicer on all levels than Thats Amore[/b]
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Gurkhas' is nice - I prefer gara masala though...
mikej

Post by mikej »

I can also vouch for El Molino - had some great tapas there, as well as a more normal style dinner too. They had a funny welsh waitress the last time. She was great.
If you can go to Crystal Palace, I'd recommend Lorenzo's also, but also try La Numidie (North african/French) - great, Joanna's (lots of stuff, all good - been going there since 1979!!).
biscuit

FOODIE

Post by biscuit »

Garam masala is a firm local favourite - have you tried out their Sunday buffet (you won't need to eat for 2 days)? Also there's a fab 50% discount offer Monday-Weds until 20th Sept so I'd get my skates on. Their Thursday banquet night is good too.

I would give "Golden City" a miss IF you like Chinese as the quality of the food there has gone downhill/tired decor/surroundings - Chi in Crystal palace is better. Gurkas is good too.

It will be interesting to see how the re-vamped Italian (used to be called Montecassino) will pan out -hope it becomes a quality pizza/pasta place.

Joannas in Crystal palace is reliable with seamless, professional service and good quality food. Blue Mountain Cafe does fab, filling lunches. Happy hunting :D
bensonby

Re: FOODIE

Post by bensonby »

biscuit wrote:Garam masala is a firm local favourite - have you tried out their Sunday buffet (you won't need to eat for 2 days)? Also there's a fab 50% discount offer Monday-Weds until 20th Sept so I'd get my skates on. Their Thursday banquet night is good too.
its only until the 10th! fantastic offer though....I've been in every week since its been running :)

I went to Golden City last week and was really unimpressed....its been ok in the past, but the quality of the chicken was awful on this occassion.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I was completely underwhelmed by Golden City myself. If only Lin Hong Garden on Darmouth Road was an eat-in restaurant instead of just a takeaway - they do nice food & the woman who takes the orders is really lovely.