Perry Hill Pub

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
robotfish

Perry Hill Pub

Post by robotfish »

OK, it's not strictly Sydenham. But it's close enough, and a local for anyone in the lower Syd/Bell Green area.

I know it has been open for a while in its new form, but I only got to try it last week. Food was superb, really well cooked. Staff were unbelievably friendly. Inside and out the pub looked great.

What's not to like? If this were in East Dulwich it would be packed to the rafters, but last Saturday night it was half full. I actually preferred it to the Dolphin overall. The Dolphin does have a better pub ambience, but I've always found the food to be underwhelming and overpriced.

Overall though, things are definitely improving around here. With the PH, The Dolphin, The Bridge Tavern & The Woodman all getting facelifts in the last couple of years. Now if someone would do something with that Greyhound site....
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Well it's not East Dulwich is it, it's on the way to Catford.

It was always a local no nonsense boozer before it changed hands. I've seen posts on here whining about the locals - 'customers in the bar area didn't really fit in (a bit rowdy)' and suggesting they go elsewhere. Maybe there's no call for the that sort of restaurant/pub, maybe the owners didn't do their research. Much as people on here go on and on about gentrification and demographics the lack of punters might suggest that not everyone in the area wants a restaurant/pub. Tarting a place up with a bit of decking and sticking wine lists and tea lights on tables doesn't mean the punters will come flocking in.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have been a couple of times and it was busy both times. I also prefer it to the Dolphin, it's far more reasonably priced.

From reading reviews of what it was like, it seems as it wasn't well loved in it's previous incaranation. The pub just across the road from it has been shut for years and that was a 'normal pub' (of which there are still many in the area).

Personally, I like normal, nice, upmarket, local, old and gastro pubs.
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

Blimey, and am now reminded why I lurk more actively than I post. That was a pretty argumentative reply nork1. I was only letting any reader know I thought it was a pretty good pub/restaurant. I wasn't wanting to start another tiresome class war debate.

It's a good pub, does great food, it's local and you can get a seat. If you don't like the sound of it don't go.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

My apologies Robotfish... I'd had one or two(!) and was in a bit of a bolshy mood :oops:

If it helps I'm suffering a bit now!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

The Perry Hill is great - fantastic pub and food. By the way, the pub over the road - the former Rutland - closed about 18 months ago when the lady who owned it retired... unfortunately it was bought by developers at auction. It had a great following as a venue for jazz and was also a very popular local. It's the jazz from the Rutland that has basically migrated to the Golden Lion. It looks as though the developer has got his fingers burnt - the building is now back on the market for £800k (spotted in Metro a couple of weeks ago).