schools in sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
emmie

schools in sydenham

Post by emmie »

javascript:emoticon(':o')
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and wanting to hear from some Sydenham stalwarts!

I live in Clapham and have a tiny flat and a tiny baby. I want to relocate somewhere where I can get a bit more space and am thinking of moving to Sydenham. I'd really like to be able to move somewhere where there is a reasonable choice of decent nurseries, primary and secondary schools ( non fee paying) so we can just settle for the foreseeable future. Does anyone have any ideas of what would be a good area of Sydenham in terms of catchment areas for some good schools?We have a pretty tight budget for buying our new abode, so noweher too exclusive!! I'm very impressed with this site by the way. I'm going to be asking a few questions of you all!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hello Emmie

I dont have children, so cant help on the schools front, but I have lived here for 7 years and can say that the transport links are really good (despite having no tube - yet!). It was the sole reason for moving here (that and price) and I havent been disappointed. I live on Lawrie Park Road really near to the excellent Crystal Palace Park and the recent additions of the Dolphin and Bridge House have made a huge difference to my local social life.

The High Street needs work, but Sydenham Bookshop is brilliant and friendly, there's an LA Fitness on the High Street which is really convenient and Sugahill and Blue Mountain are also dragging some variety into the high street so it isnt just the pound shops! There's also a recommended estate agents, family run, called Property World. Really nice guys

It may be a shock after Clapham, but I have noticed a big difference in recent years.

Good luck searching!
emmie

Post by emmie »

Hi minifox and thanks for your reply. There are many things about Clapham I won't miss. I'm not that bothered about having loads of restaurants and bars as I'm usually too skint to go to them and your priorities change once you have a little one.So far, the things that appeal to me about the area are the green spaces, the community feel, proximity to the Horniman museum and good links to central london. I go out a lot to the southbank and its great that you can get to Waterloo east from Sydenham.

I'm coming to wander around over the next couple of days and will check out the book shop and the estate agent you mention. I'm glad that there is atleast one nice coffee shop for yummy mummy hanging out and the dolphin pub looks great. A friend of ours is playing bottom in the midsummers nights dream so we're probably going to go and see that soon! i'll have to check out eh bridge house pub when I'm there. Useful to know about LA fitness. I'm assuming I'll probably do classes at the sports centre in the park, but are there other classes as well?

Emmie
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Well, I have to agree, it is hard to get the balance right between a heaving throng of pubs and bars and not having to trek into town to get dinner occasionally

The Horniman is interesting (sad to say went there recently for the first time - its really good for kids. Not so great for adults altho the grounds are lovely) and you are so right about the South Bank. I work in Canary Wharf and we also have an office opposite Blackfriars. When I have to go to the Blackfriars office, its a really easy walk from London Bridge and even better after 8 to just get the train from Charing X/ Waterloo

I think there are lots of other classes locally. The independant Health Food Shop has lots of adverts for local classes in the window and on their board and I think Sugahill and Blue Mountain have local ads too.

Enjoy!
emmie

Post by emmie »

ok...good tip. I'll check out the health food store ( good to hear theres one of those) and the coffee bars to see about classes. I just saw about the bridge leisure centre which is good to check out.

Horniman do have classes for adults as well as kids...drumming and dancing...things that I love so it'll be good for me and my little un! I think Dulwhich picture gallery also have some stuff for kids!

My partner is a jazz musician and his parents are involved with organising Sydenham musical festival so we know a bit about the area as they live on Sydenham hill. He'll probably try and get some gigs playing in the area if we move there. He plays at cafe rouge in dulwhich every other week!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Well it seems like you have a headstart with his family in Sydenham Hill
The Woodhouse is also a lovely spot, for lunch and is kiddie friendly
I forgot about the Picture Gallery - it is nice although havent been there in a long time (I used to live very near to it before moving here)

I understand that lots of musicians live in Sydenham, so you'll be in good company

Good luck with it all
X
poppy

Sydenham

Post by poppy »

Hi Emmie

I think the most sought after primary school at the moment is Elliot Bank, although St Barts CofE is supposed to be good too. One of my neighbours sends his daughter to Adamsrill and he is very happy with it. Others send their kids to Alexandra, which is technically Beckenham but possible to attend if you live that side of Sydenham.

For the future I hear Forest Hill boys (high school) is outstanding at the moment. I have never read so such a good Ofsted and I know someone who sends their son their.

Hope this helps.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Dear Poppy - the BBC analysis of the most recent league table for primary schools in England and Wales (Dec 2007) shows that Lewisham primaries are doing well, and in many cases scoring over the average for 'Contextual Value Added'. Adamsrill, a non denominational primary school, is doing particularly well. This is the link for the data:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/e ... ml/209.stm
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

OLASPN is one of the best schools in the area too - especially if you live towards the bottom end of sydenham.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

In terms of catchment areas for local primary schools, you should check out the Lewisham website for the closest ones to you: http://www2.lewisham.gov.uk/lbl/streetmap/finder.asp

The booklet that's available on 3rd November at all primary schools and local libraries lists the distance (as the crow flies, door to door) of the last successful applicant. Some schools are under 1km and others are well over 2km.

You can apply to other boroughs schools, (ie. Alexandra in Bromley) but everyone I know who applied there this year, (aged 4) from Sydenham were unsuccessful. This is because the building on Cator Road is the Junior School and it is the Infants School at the bottom of Kent House Road, (by Penge High Street) that start at 4.5y.

Good Luck!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Here's a pdf of last year's booklet: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... 9Oct07.pdf

If you have a look at pgs 23-25, you can see that the Adamsrill catchment is over 7km and Eliot Bank under 1km, for the academic year 2007/8! Of course it changes every year.....

The Faith schools appear later on in the booklet as they have their own admissions criterea.
poppy

schools

Post by poppy »

Hi Mummycat, I assume one of your children has just started school this term and wondered which one your child got in to in the end and whether you are happy with it?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hi Poppy,
I've just PM'd you - don't want to give too much away!!! :wink: