Cobbs Corner

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
netty64

Cobbs Corner

Post by netty64 »

Hello everyone here,

I grew up in Peak Hill, Sydenham and have very fond memories of it!

I remember me and my sister getting cought shoplifting in Cobbs Department store when we were about 8 and 9! God I loved that place with the toilets that were so posh and the toy basement that always had a grotto at christmas! I also remember playing on the building site that was to become Carlton terrace.

I am coming up to Sydenham for a look around all my old haunts on Saturday and will be including wells park (with the 3 paddling pools), mayow park (avery)and my old school St. Michaels.Ive not been up for 15 years so am expecting some major changes!

Did anyone else here live in Peak Hill or off Kirkdale?

Jenny x
kenny karzi

Post by kenny karzi »

Well, playing on building sites and the occasional shoplift, sounds to me like a very true reflection on what life was like growing up in Sydenham as a child

Well that building site that you was playing on ended up being my home for the best part of my life, can you remember the VERY big tree in the middle with the brick surround? well, during the storm of '87 my parents where worried that that tree was going to wipe out our house.
Carlton Terrace was a very close community many years ago. But I will admit, my brother and myself were a couple of tearaways, for which i will publicly apologise to anybody whom i may have upset all those years ago.

but getting back on track regarding Cobbs corner, after the main store closed down and the introduction of the "cheep shops" and dodgy nightclubs..... There was an opportunity that we as kids could not resist. There was a time where the disused store was left in an abandoned state, and a way was found via the roof, where we actually gained access into the building and more importantly access into the dome that was seated ontop of Cobbs Corner
And through the missing slates i was able to manage to actually get a look through by sticking my head out.

I'll never forget the view
netty64

Post by netty64 »

How old r u and when did u live at carlton terrace?
kenny karzi

Post by kenny karzi »

I left Carlton Terrace in early 1988 (if memory serves me correctly)

I was aged 16

I moved there aged 4

did you know of anybody who lived there during that time ?
netty64

carlton terrace

Post by netty64 »

yes i knew tony dove who lived in the middle upstairs!!I was engaged to him ha ha - his dad called himself staff sargent!!I knew a few people who lived there as I lived just behind carlton terrace - I am a litttle older than you about 5 years - do you remember keely who was killed in a car accident - it was horrible and i always remembered it!
kenny karzi

Post by kenny karzi »

was she the daughter of Bart and Jean ?
netty64

Post by netty64 »

not sure but there were 2 girls keely and leah - they lived downstairs in the maisonettes - she was going for an ice cream and got knocked down in sydenham park road - it was truly horrible!
kenny karzi

Post by kenny karzi »

It was actually Leah who was tragically killed. If I’m correct that happened just before my arrival on Carlton Terrace. My best friend (Jonathon) who grew up with me on the estate was actually there when the accident happened. Even though he himself was still very young, he can still remember it.

I remember him telling me about that day. But as a very young child I didn't fully appreciate the seriousness of what had happened. But now as an older man, I can see why my mother always frowned on me running to the Ice-cream Van

Jean used to Baby-sit me on the odd occasion, and even today I still cannot think of a bad work to say about her. She was one of the nicest people who lived on Carlton Terrace during my time there

Jean if you ever read this...... Please email me. It would be great to hear how you are doing.
stone.d.d

Does anyone have a any photos of the Cobbs store?

Post by stone.d.d »

My Nan worked in a department store on Cobbs Corner during the 30s and I am trying to track down some photos of the store. Not sure if it is the same store mentioned in this thread but thought I would give it a go.

So, does anyone have any photos of the store?