New pub crawl

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

New pub crawl

Post by ALIB »

Bouyed by the recent success of Lambchops pub crawl (and encouraged by PM's), There is another pub crawl being touted. The proposed route is from The Bell (Bell Green) up Sydenham High street to the Woodman on the junction with Kirkdale/Dartmouth Road. (missing out the Two Halfs)
Personally, i think we should leave it another month or two to let momentum build and the holiday season to finish.
Please post your comments/availability.

ALi B
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Thanks, we would love to join you on the next one. We are free from October. Savvy and Mr.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

whya re we leaving out the two halfs?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

How about the middle of October? Saturday might be better if you want to make a bit of a session out of it. So possible dates would be 11th or 18th October - would that suit anyone?

I might be doing it a disservice but the Two Halfs can put people off by looking a bit scary and saying that we won't go there should ensure that more people turn up on the night. But perhaps it's only a matter of time before someone taps into the nearby Thorpe estate's huge spending power by turning it into a designer boutique or a Japanese restaurant, so you might want to go there whilst it's still in its current condition.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

oh right, so it's a shit hole.

Fair enough!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

don't forget, its the "two half's" not the "twe halfs" :roll:

I'm generally not free at weekends, but may come if I have the spare time.
boon

Post by boon »

Hey, I quite like the Two Half's! It does look a bit rough, but the interior is quite unique and impressive, and I've never had a problem with the bar staff or patrons. Even the occasional tracksuit-clad youth you may see in the corner have kept to themselves and once happily gave up a chair for our use.

Granted, I don't really go there regularly and base this on maybe half a dozen early-evening or Sunday-afternoon visits, but looks can be deceiving. It's really quite a decent place, in my experience.

Not sure about the name though. Maybe it's meant to indicate that the pub is owned by a happy couple? Or would that be The Two Halves'? Or am I just grasping at straws?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

ok, I'll post some dates over the weekend for around October.

As for the Twa Telfs, we can make a decision on the day. My own reservations were not stirctly related to the pub, but also to some of my close relatives who occupy the benches outside, drinking White Lightning and meths from their paper bags.

Date TBA shortly.

Particularly welcome, in no order of preference.......

Admin
Thomas
Bensonby
Savvy
Nasaroc
Lambchops
Chris Best
mumofanangel
Floom
Muddy Waters
'Big' Ben
Boon
Tim Lund

and any/all other posters......except that thwat who was selling Russian Wives

Ali B
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I am up for it, but I can't make the first or second weekend in October.
Sorry I missed the last one! I don't think a group of people would have a problem at the Two Halfs, I have been in there only once, but it was fine. Most of the problems I see are from the people that drink on the bench in front of the pos office / Naborhood centre.
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

scott.l.hamilton wrote:I am up for it, but I can't make the first or second weekend in October.
Sorry I missed the last one! I don't think a group of people would have a problem at the Two Halfs, I have been in there only once, but it was fine. Most of the problems I see are from the people that drink on the bench in front of the pos office / Naborhood centre.
Hello Scott
It's fifty years since I left Sydenham but I still like reading about it, tell me, what is, or what was, the Two Halfs? Did it used to be something else?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brian: See here - http://www.sydenham.org.uk/pub.html

We must include the Two Half's. Pick me up there - or from the bench outside. I'll be the one eating chips from a pink FT ...

Admin
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

the thing is, I find the majority of the pubs along sydenham road pretty uninspiring.

The Prince Alfred has a nice interior, but I rarely go now they have abandoned real ale.

The Golden Lion is the only remaining traditional, multi-roomed pub with interesting interior.

(although I must admit I've never been in the Bell to have a look - but I remain sceptical...do they serve any real ales?)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

ALIB wrote:

and any/all other posters......except that thwat who was selling Russian Wives

Ali B
FFS AliB, stop trying to stymmie my efforts of getting a russian tennis player bride.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Thanks for the invite. Mr S and I will be back from our hols then and happy to join you. I don't care what pubs we go in, it's a different experience going as a group.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

OK. The evening of Friday 10th or Saturday 11th October. Please PM or post your preference and I will go with the majoity. As soon as I get a decent wedge of responses, I'll confirm whether the Friday or Saturday has been selected.

And yes, I know I haven't accomodated everyones preferences, but this is a kind of 'take it or leave it offer' (a bit like the FH pools consultation). Another similarity is that is this has a similar success to the first, we could do another Pre-Christmas one,... and so on.
Also on the list of hopefuil attendees will be ...Juwlz, Digital FX, Gaz,
I hope Scott Hamilton can make it, but he did ask for early October to be missed,.....but hey, I have football matches to attend.

Look forward to positive responses, and remember......there'll probably be a next time....

Ali B
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I would prefer the Saturday if at all possible.

Cheers for sorting this out.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We can only do Friday 10th as we're in Brighton on Saturday evening but no worries, we'll come to the next one if you choose Saturday.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i'm fine for either, i think...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'm pretty sure I'm busy both days :(
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

it's looking like the Saturday......

keep the comments coming

and Bensonby, I've just checked article 7 of the rail users manual (ammended 2006) and in paragraph 4 it states that all Sydenham rail users shall be free for the Saturday.

Don't be scared

Ali B