New Pizza Restaurant

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Willy wrote:So..we should support restaurants that serve sub standard food?

I didn't have the pizza but the people I was with had the Saltimboca (horrible), the meatballs (horrible), and the arrabiatta (horrible), if you can't cook the classic Italian dishes then there is something seriously wrong and the thing that makes it worse is that we were the only people in at the time.
I'm with you Willy, I'm all for supporting local business, but not to the point of sycophancy; I have no problem with recommending establishments that have equalled or exceeded my expectations, but I don't see why I should hesitate to comment on those that have failed in my estimations.

I should point out that I have never sampled the delights of the restaurent that is the subject of this thread, but it has been favourably compared to Lorenzo's in CP, a place where I have been served the worst Italian food I have ever experienced, so, in my opinion, if that's all they have to live up to, they're aiming low (and they may have missed.....)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm a fan of Tratorria.

I have been a couple of times and had good food every time. My problem is that the menu doesn't really change. I'd actually go more if they offered specials. Perhaps trial a pizza and if it's popular it becomes part of the main menu. I get bored of places very quickly if the menu remains static.

I think they could do with copying the Dolphin and putting some candles in the window. The glow in the dolphin's windows look very inviting as you pass.

The inside is very stark, the lighting seems very bright. I'm all for seeing what you can eat, but the BOGOF buys of digital pictures of olives in the magnolia walls feels a but like they haven't finished decorating. It needs a little charm (but not a picture of a mona lisa smoking a spliff.)

Their calzone pizza is excellent, but I haven't tried their pasta. I have found the service to be friendly.

The owners have just had a baby, so if something was amiss recently, they may have taken their eyes off the ball.

I'd hate for some negative comments on this forum to put people off from trying the place, but I do totally agree that if someplace isn't up to scratch, then you have every right to voice your opinion. And of LOT of the high street isn't up to scratch. Personally I think Tratorria is and is a local asset.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I totally agree Lee.

I went to the Pizza restaurant on friday night and the food was fantastic. The restaurant was quite though, and I hope this is just a lull after New years. It's a definate asset to the hight street.

I agree adding specials and changing the menu would be nice as when we go we almost know what we want before we go in. The Dolphin gets us more if we are not sure what we want but want to eat locally.

I also wish it was a bit more open from the outside - I like places where you can look in and get a sense of the atmosphere of a place before walking through the door and commiting. BMC and Dolphin are good at this and you can tell if they are busy before walking through the door.
paultreacy

Pizza

Post by paultreacy »

I have to check this place out. My family and I hop on the 227 to Pizza Express in Crystal Palace.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

We went there before Christmas and the Manager is pulling out of the Pizza Express franchise. It seems the greedy lot at Head Office wanted it to become a full Pizza Express chain restaurant, but the Manager wouldn't give it up! He said that in the New Year (ie. now) it will become "Pizza at the Palace".

It was the best one in the area - especially their 3 course Sunday meal deal for £9.99. I've never seen any other Pizza Express do that.

Even more reason for Pizza Express to open in Sydenham?!! There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition....
sophie

Post by sophie »

Trattoria does usually have a special or 2 on the menu. At least it has everytime we've gone there which has been 4 times now I think at the weekends. Maybe they don't do specials in the week. We might well be off there again tonight ...

I really like their pizzas but have also enjoyed the pasta dishes I've tried. I love their freshly baked bread dipped into the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Very easy to fill up on that.

I agree that somehow there is no natural ambience even though people clearly enjoy themselves there. I'm not sure how they will achieve that feeling when you first look through the window or walk in the door but suspect that there aren't many places that get it just like that. It must take time to achieve. Getting the decor and bits and bobs on the table just right takes time, not many people are able to perfect it straight away.

I think the owner and staff are excellent and very friendly.
tommyG

Trattoria Raffaele

Post by tommyG »

Went there the other night, what a great place to go for a bite to eat. The Pizza's are tasty and freshly made. I can't see how some of the comments could be negitive. Great Pizza, reasonable price, good freindly service can't ask for more than that.