'Love your local'

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Big Ben

'Love your local'

Post by Big Ben »

With all the interest in beer and pubs on this site, people might be interested in the online campaign at this link below: http://www.loveyourlocal.co.uk/validate-age
The winning pub gets profiled in the Evening Standard, £15k for improvements and £1.5k for a staff event. I'm voting for the Woodman on Kirkdale.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Nice one! This is a great chance for everyone to get behind a local pub - if a Sydenham pub were to win, this would be brilliant PR for our area.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Done!

Vote early and vote often, as the Irish say.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks for the posting Big Ben

I see that the competition has some sponsorship by Stella Artois. I hope this will not be detrimental to those pubs which do not serve the infamous 'wife beater'.

My vote has gone to the Woodman.

Ali B
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Perhaps they're trying to shake off this image? It's a shame they're stuck with it - especially given the terrific ads they make.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

At this current time , in my opinion , The Golden Lion offers the best quality beer especially The Harveys and Broadside.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I think there'll be two camps on here - The Woodman, and the Golden Lion. Why don't we all vote for both?? Supporting semi-decent local boozers, even if it's your second choice, has to be a good thing?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

voted for golden lion.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

No chance of you voting for the Woodman as well hey Bensonby? Who knows - if they won they might use the funding to give you a second option for a great pint!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

To be honest used to be a regulat at Woodman between 69 and 73 then moved to Brick.
Used to have a good Lanlord called Redmond who ran a tight ship.
I have hardly been back since as I had been advised was haunt of low life.
I assume things have now changed. What are their beers and is the Pub well run
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

natbeuk wrote:No chance of you voting for the Woodman as well hey Bensonby? Who knows - if they won they might use the funding to give you a second option for a great pint!
I've never been to the woodman, so I wouldn't feel right in voting for it. Does it even let you vote twice? - after all, it does ask for an email...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

It does let you vote twice. Maybe not for the same pub, but I just voted for the Woodman and then for the Golden Lion.

I've never been to the GL myself but I'm really keen to promote Sydenham so the fact that it gets positive reviews on here is good enough for me.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Eagle wrote:To be honest used to be a regulat at Woodman between 69 and 73 then moved to Brick.
Used to have a good Lanlord called Redmond who ran a tight ship.
I have hardly been back since as I had been advised was haunt of low life.
I assume things have now changed. What are their beers and is the Pub well run
Sorry, I'm a wine or spirits drinker so couldn't tell you about the beers. I think it's well run, and the management have clearly made a lot of effort with trying to clean up the decor but still keep it warm and welcoming, and it's a realistic option for a Sunday pub roast.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Done!

Voted for the Woodman, as I've not been in the Golden Lion for yonks (but will soon remedy that, if the beer is as good as it is said to be)

I wont be using the map on the website to find any of the pubs though - it put The Woodman about half a mile from where it should be.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Keep voting please - as Fishcox says, it's a question of 'use it or lose it'!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I notice on the website they offer a starter pack to pubs with posters, etc, that they can use to promote voting - I'm not around this weekend, but is anyone planning on popping into the Golden Lion and/or the Woodman and so would be able to check if the management have got themselves a pack? And if they haven't, encourage them to visit the website and get themselves one so that they can get the punters voting?