Jobs for 16 year olds

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tobie

Jobs for 16 year olds

Post by Tobie »

Basically,
I would really like a job,
and i've handed out CV's to quite a few places,
all of which said they were intrested and then didn't call back
or didnt accept under 18 year olds
OR wanted experience, which is impossible to get when you need experience to get the experience you need, damn catch 22.

and i want to stay local,
so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
thanks,
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nice to see you are keen to work. I agree that you cannot obtain experience until you start work.
Used to be that over 75% of population left at 15 or 16 and used to get jobs .
I know the general trend is to go to some sort of college but I think in Germany employers are happy to take on 16 years old trainees.
CV important but as your age I would have thought not crucial. You need somehow to get face to face with potential employer to impress them enough to give you a break.

Very best of luck.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm in exactly the same situation. I handed out my CV to shops on Sydenham high street and nobody called back. Nobody seems to trust teenagers. Nobody want an employee with no experience so I can't get any. People always say "why don't you get a job like it's easy but it's not easy when your starting at the bottom.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Trouble also is that SE 26 has very little employment except shops and local government. I recommend you try Croydon or Bromley.
Most people in SE 26 have to leave the area for work.
It is a great pity but employers do not want to set up in an area with so bad roads etc.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Tobie and Nicholas, my only advice is to personally visit the places you fancy working in and ask to see the manager face-to-face (and only leave your cv with them if they are encouraging!).

Depending on what you want to do there should be openings around (from office admin to shop till/shelving work - all of which are a foot on the ladder to show you can handle work and are responsible). Have you tried the established larger firms (Superdrug, Lidl's, Somerfield and Sainsbury's - all of these should take on under18s)?

For office work, it may be best joining an agency (such as Reed, Angel, Adecco) to place you somewhere (perhaps even into a bank). Take a gander at : http://www.agencycentral.co.uk/agencyse ... denham.htm

If you're placed somewhere by an agency, you gain the experience which really helps for when you want to apply directly for any other work.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Gaz
Tobie

Wow im suprised i got a reply so quickly, i only signed up

Post by Tobie »

today.

anyway.

yeahh i did exactly that, the two places i wanted to try was the video store "for your eyes only" where i spoke to the manager,
and i also spoke to the manager in Bunka, who also said she'd give me a ring and then never called,
it is really irritating.
oh and for any other people my age attempting to get jobs in the croydon area, many of my friends have tried there up to 5 times going around giving out CV's and they havent ever been called back,
i suppose they get alot of applicants and they probably choose to employ older people.

anyway thanks,
but if anyone knows of an upportunity let me know :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

visit the jobcentre in catford? Do connexions help out with this sort of thing? - they have a branch in lewisham.

Are you looking for a part-time job or full-time job?
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

If nothing turns up perhaps do some volunteer/intern work to get more experience in the field you want to work in. It's tricky otherwise without experience.

Good luck.
kirstie

Post by kirstie »

Have you thought about the new Lidl opening in Penge on 25th?

Fingers crossed for you, it is tough, but your determination is great and some employer will spot that.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i am self-employed so may be able to offer some advice from another persepctive. The Christmas of 2006, things were very tight financially. I went to the employment agency in Thornton Heath and they found me a job within a day or two. These types of places can be very good because you get the opportunity to prove yourself over several days work.
And on the flip side, if you don't like the job, you can always tell the Agency that you don't want to do it. Most Agencies will also give you a reference.

It is wise to actually approach potential employers in person so it gives you both the opportunity of sussing each other out. First impressions last, so don't dress too casually. A CV isn't really of much benefit at this stage as I expect the only thing of any interest is the number of GCSE's you have.

Apart from that, just keep knocking on doors and don't feel that one rejection from someone means you can't call them again. Keep calling them and they'll be impressed by your persistence.
And try to never leave on bad terms or throw in the towel too easily. Things have a habit of coming round to bite you....

Best of luck

Ali B