Mice in Sydenham?!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Postman

Mice in Sydenham?!

Post by Postman »

Ive had mice now for nearly 3 months and its driving me and my wife mad. Ive tried everything - poisons, glue traps, snap traps, wirewall, electonic traps, supersonic radio plug ins. They just aint going anywhere. My last resort is to buy a cat. When i went in to the DIY shop they guy said everyones got them. So i was just wondering if anyone is doing any thing different to me, and could they help me out?!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

We have had mice for a few months now. My cat got rid of a few but not all of them.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I had a rat in my flat and it wasn''t very nice!

I'm not sure if the poison I put down killed it or whether it starved to death. My only advice is to make sure all holes etc are filled in to deny them access/keep them trapped where they are.

Would have thought poison is the best solution though if you can't prevent them getting in...
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Whereabouts are you Postman?

Gaz is right - the only thing you can do is try and fill any holes where they can get in, and then try and kill the ones which are indoors.

Bear in mind though, a mouse can get through a hole the size of a new 5p. If you can get your little finger into a gap, a mouse can get through it. Holes need to be patched up with the very fine steel mesh and wire wool - its the only thing they cant gnaw through.

We've had them all through the summer, and they dont appear to give up too easily.

If I stay up late, there's always one still comes into the lounge looking for food. He seems to be getting bolder too - maybe because he's starving.

That's another thing - try to avoid dropping any crumbs, or leaving food out. Anything in cardboard boxes is easy game for them too - they just gnaw through them.

They find their way into places you would think impossible, so keep anything other than tinned food as far away from ground level cupboards as possible.

We have tried all things too - they seem to be too clever for the traps now (although they worked at first).

We are now considering a cat, or getting the professionals in.
Postman

Post by Postman »

Hi There!

Im on Venner Road. At first i thought it was because we had the railway behind us. However ive soon reliese that most of my neighbours have them, which made me feel a bit better!

Ill keep trying, but i do think a cat maybe next on the list!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i live on Dartmouth Road and we've had mice in our first floor flat for a number of years.
it/they comes up through a small gap between the wall and floor under the kitchen units.
We have put poison down and they seem to positively enjoy it. I have never found a mouse body, but the poison still gets eaten. I occasionally see one scuttling round in the early hours. My wife had the best encounter when she was talking on the phone in the kitchen one evening. A mouse appeared on the kitchen worktop and my wife screamed. Then (in her own words) "The mouse looked up at her, then sauntered back under the kitchen units"

If anyone has any tips for the best poisons, then please post them on here.

Ali B
Tim Lund

Have they learned something?

Post by Tim Lund »

We have a mouse too, who seems very canny about not eating any bait. It feels as if there is a negotiation going on in which we are not winning - "Stale bread?" - "No thanks!" (in mouse language) - "Peanut butter?" "No" "Honey" - "No" - "Green and Black Chocolate?" "Look, I know you're making an effort, which in a sort of way I appreciate, but see, mice have moved on. We've learned to communicate, and we know what those traps are. I learned it from my parents, just like you learned to talk from yours. And we've also thought about cats and dogs. You humans seem to find them cute, but really, are they anything like as cute as us? And we're much less expensive! So, just let me pop out every now and then, and maybe you'll get used to me, even love me. We come in peace!"
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I know it's a serious problem, but I really am loving the image of a mouse sauntering around the kitchen :lol:
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

To be honest, I'm not that bothered - although they do leave droppings, and also mark their 'runs' with urine.

We also found droppings on the sofas, which wasnt pleasant.

My wife, on the other hand, is positively petrified by them, as is the mother in law (I'm not risking a joke).

I'd like to think that I have finally sealed all the holes up, and this is the last mouse standing, but I somehow doubt it.

I keep my empty beer bottles under the stairs for recycling, and we used to keep snacks and crisps under there too, for the kids. Mousey must have thought he had found an exclusive 'mouse pub'. I half expected to find them dancing to the sonic plug ins that I bought (which are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike)

It's become a battle of wits, and all the neighbours have them too. We back on to the railway line too, but on the Lawrie Park side.

The one positive is that mice and rats do not co-habit.
Willy

Post by Willy »

When I last had mice I discovered by accident that they love Nutella so I crushed up some poison and mixed it in and left bits of bread lying about with chocolatey poison liberally spread all over. 2 days later and my kitchen resembled a "mouse Somme".
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Had mice couple of years ago. Poison works great.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

When I last had mice I discovered by accident that they love Nutella so I crushed up some poison and mixed it in and left bits of bread lying about with chocolatey poison liberally spread all over. 2 days later and my kitchen resembled a "mouse Somme".
I suppose calling it "mouseschwitz" would be too tasteless wouldn't it?
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Call the RSPCA and ask them about sending you a humane mouse trap or information on where to get one.

The best thing to do is block up any holes so they can not get in and make sure you are not leaving rubbish or food on show for them.

Mice do not like to be seen and make nests so also make sure you have not got garden waste for them to live in or things piled up.

If you disturb their habitat then they will leave and find somewhere else to live.

Please do not poison them as they really are harmless and they are more frightened of you then the other way round.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

My cat has brought a lot of mice (dead) home over the past month or so! never inside but always in the garden (lucky me!). I haven't a clue where he's getting them from (its seems thankfully not from inside the house!) but he must have had at least 1 or 2 a day and thats the ones we have found!

As this seems to be such a large problem at the moment and he seems so good at catching them I thought I may rent him out!!! lol.

My parents also have a mouse problem and they are at the kirkdale end of sydenham while I am at the bottom of the hill - seems like its a sydenham wide issue! and the traps aren't working for them either!
motherhen

Post by motherhen »

my cat brings them into the house, then tires of them and i have to get the traps out, they were coming from next doors compost heap, rentokill came and got rid of most of them, but i never put on a pair of shoes without shaking them first!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Thomas wrote:
I suppose calling it "mouseschwitz" would be too tasteless wouldn't it?
Willy

Post by Willy »

Please do not poison them as they really are harmless and they are more frightened of you then the other way round.
They are incontinent and leave trails of urine and droppings wherever they go and spread diseases, that alone is a good enough reason to poison them.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

moussacre the lot of them.....
Postman

Post by Postman »

Just thought id give an update...

Caught one in a snap trap last night, with some peanut butter. I know theres more, i can smell them!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Was he carrying a tiny towel?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7645908.stm

Admin