Your experiences and impressions of the police

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
bensonby

Your experiences and impressions of the police

Post by bensonby »

I've been looking over some old posts when I was bored and there seem to be quite a few commentators over time who are not wholly satisfied with the service they have received from the police and seem to take a somewhat cynical view of the police.

But what are your impressions of the local police? - especially the new SNT scheme?

Have your experiences been good or bad?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

V Impressed with local SNT in Sydenham.

SNT in Brockley to quote Borat "not so much".
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

A mixed bag. Some very nice stories, others shockingly bad. Won't go into details as this thread has the potential to cause the polarisation of views, etc..

Ali B
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

please do go into details as far as possible - a good argument was half the point :wink:

The reason I asked this was there is a small proliferation of negative posts regarding experiences with the police across this board. With the Met taking a hitting in the media recently I wondered what people's opinions were.

Personally Ive never had to call the police, which is good I suppose, so I've not had much contact with them from that perspective. However, I now see more uniforms out and about than ever before, throuhg the SNT scheme - albeit in the form of PCSOs. Also at the time of starting this thread I had just spoken to my sister who rold me there were lots of police around sydenham station with metal detectors, good to see them out and about - although I find the value of such operations questionable.

I just wanted to know what people thought of the police and what expectations thy had of them. (a good argument would be fun too though :P)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i don't think the police that the public has contact with are really to blame for any shit policing.

it's the people who are higher up and the government who should be held accountable.

are the PCSO's the volunteer people? this is a big con trying to make us think there's more police on the beat.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote:i don't think the police that the public has contact with are really to blame for any shit policing.

it's the people who are higher up and the government who should be held accountable.

are the PCSO's the volunteer people? this is a big con trying to make us think there's more police on the beat.
No, you are thinking of Special Constables. PCSOs are paid and full-time. They have limited powers (no power of arrest for example) and carry less equipment. Their role is to foot patrol, provide a visible presence, make low-level enquiries and provide intelligence for the police. They can also dish out on the spot fines for littering and that sort of thing. They wear flat caps with teh grey/blue band around on foot patrol as well as blue shirts and ties - a different uniform from police constables.

Special Constables are fully sworn in police officers with all the powers that entails. They wear the same uniform and do the same job, more or less, as "regualar" police constables. They are unpaid, have normal jobs and normally work only a couple of shifts a month.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

As i mentioned before, my own experiences of the police are diverse and personal. That is, no one can argue with my experiences or why I hold certain points of view.
That is a FACT.
END OF.
(cue message board argument)

I suggest we discuss this at the STF social this weekend where we can mutually discuss/fight over the merits of the Met as we are lead away for breach of the peace.....

Ali b
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

ALIB wrote:As i mentioned before, my own experiences of the police are diverse and personal. That is, no one can argue with my experiences or why I hold certain points of view.
That is a FACT.
END OF.
(cue message board argument)

er, I don't think anyone questioned that Ali....and I don't think it can be disputed that personal experiences are just that, a personal thing.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i want to hear about alib's personal experiences in locked rooms with police truncheons. what a pervert!

ok, these "special constables" are just as ineffective as the other ones. it's a load of shit to make us think society is being policed better when in fact it's not, really.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote: ok, these "special constables" are just as ineffective as the other ones. it's a load of shit to make us think society is being policed better when in fact it's not, really.
how are they ineffectual?* Were you aware that special constables predate the police force? All specials do, most of the time, is supplement the number of police on duty.

i.e. there may be 40 officers reporting for duty, plus 4 specials....thus increasing the number that shift by 10%.

They are simply more officers that are available....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Constabulary

*or, rather, how are they any more ineffectual than the rest of the police force "service"...
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

My sister graduated as a special earlier this year after training every Sunday and the odd extra day for some months.

She is fully trained and will even be allowed to do firearms training after serving enough time.

She has to do eight hours a month and she loves it. She volunteered to do Tower Hamlets. She has to do the odd drugs raid (which is not too different to her day job - she does home visits as a reception teacher at a tough school) but also spends some time having her photo taken with tourists at the Tower or along the embankment.

Being visible is as much part of the job to combat fear of crime. But she is doing something useful and giving up her time to do it and we don't have to pay more tax. So your opinion is stupid, lambchops.

In return she gets free travel on London transport, which she knew about, but also a list of freebies and discounts you wouldn't believe - like getting into the cinema for free, walking in free past the queue at clubs with her mates, and even a mundane but useful 10 per cent off at Argos. That's a lot of grateful businesses.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i don't beleive they would, or could, do as good a job as a proper copper. if i really needed the police then i certainly would not want a volunteer helping me.

it's good to know that they recieve all this training, though, and i guess the police must draw some good people from them when recruiting.

however, i still firmly beleive that it's a way the government can appear to increase the police presence while saving money.

now, move along.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote:i don't beleive they would, or could, do as good a job as a proper copper. if i really needed the police then i certainly would not want a volunteer helping me.

it's good to know that they recieve all this training, though, and i guess the police must draw some good people from them when recruiting.

however, i still firmly beleive that it's a way the government can appear to increase the police presence while saving money.

now, move along.
2 points to that:

firstly, if you have ever telephoned the police then there is a possibility that a special has attended....I doubt many people would be able to spot the difference. Indeed, of all the members on this site who have ever called the police I suspect that several would certainly have had specials attending - and probably not noticed.

Secondly, its hardly some new government scheme just to get loads of cheap plod - its been going on for hundreds of years.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

it doesn't matter to me who answers calls. i would prefer full time police officers working my area, and if i need a copper for something serious then i would prefer it wasn't a part time volunteer.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote:it doesn't matter to me who answers calls. i would prefer full time police officers working my area, and if i need a copper for something serious then i would prefer it wasn't a part time volunteer.
I still fail to see what difference it makes, so long as you have a fully warranted police constable that is trained to do the job. Th fact that I doubt you'd notice the difference is evidence to that... Indeed, if it was "serious" then the relevant squad would be summoned anyway... (robbery squad, CID &c.)
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

My recent experience with the police has been fantastic, although the circumstances certainly weren't....

As per earlier posts we were unlucky enough to have our car stolen from our driveway and then subsequently used in an attempted armed robbery....

The police arrived within 10 minutes of our call notifying them that the car was missing, they were extremely kind and helpful.

As soon as the car was found they called us, and have been pretty good at keeping us up to date as it was put through forensics etc.

PS : And the good news is the car is coming back to us any day now :)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

my recent experience with the cops was really good, too, might i add after a bit of my bitching.