Streets Ahead

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sbeeny

Streets Ahead

Post by sbeeny »

There's a new TV programme on Channel 4 called Streets Ahead, hosted by Sarah Beeny (from Property Ladder) and it's featuring a street in Penge.

I wondered if anyone knew or was involved in this at all? In any case, make sure you tune in to Channel 4 12th July 8pm to see Penge on the telly!

PS See this site for more info about Sarah Beeny and there's a post about the show in the 'on TV and radio' section. http://www.20six.co.uk/sbeeny

S
stuart

Post by stuart »

Also next week is the very last 'Ground Force'. It is set at the British Museum but there is a strong local connection. I hope to have details on the Forest Hill site on Monday.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Deleted by author. No longer relevant.
Last edited by Anon on 27 Jan 2020 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
sbeeny

Post by sbeeny »

wow, i didn't expect to hear that. what a scandal. I wonder how it will be portrayed on the small screen.

Would you mind if I posted this response up on the blog (anonymously if u like)? People ought to know. It'll go against the grain of the blog but you've got to say it how it is.

How was your opinion of Sarah Beeny affected by this, or was it more Channel 4 that were the villains?

S
Anon

Post by Anon »

Deleted by author. No longer relevant
Last edited by Anon on 27 Jan 2020 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
sbeeny

Post by sbeeny »

yes, blog=website, it's a kind of online interactive diary where entries are catagorised by date and people can leave comments.

I'm really sorry to hear it was all such a nightmare and will get myself this weeks RT and have a read, helping myself to a large pinch of salt first.

Are you going to the papers with this?

I'm going to put a post up in my blog http://www.20six.co.uk/sbeeny about this. It's not read by many people and I doubt Sarah or channel4 or talkback care much about it.

If you want it removed just post here or email me.

Hope your street recovers from this, perhaps people will pull together against this injustice? I guess you'll have to wait for the TV show to see what reaction people have.

S
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

hi, i have followed this thread, and also checked out your own website, sbeeny.

initially, i thought the whole thing was a bit of self publicity from sarah beeny (you being called sbeeny, after all) but have since realised that it isnt.

are you big fan of sarah beeny ? you have certainly gone to a lot of trouble. to be honest, i had never heard of her. is she aware of your homage to her ?

i am intrigued, to say the least.
sbeeny

Post by sbeeny »

fishcox, yes I am a big fan and people do get confused by the name, so sorry 'bout that.

I have written to Ms Beeny, via her agents so I assume she is aware of the site but I've not had anything to confirm or deny that.

I just wanted to hack together bits of media about her as her own website is pretty poor and she does get involved in quite a lot of stuff as you can see.

People have suggested I am quite mad, but there you go. That's the good thing about the internet, everyone can have their say, but ultimately it's up to you what you do.

I am most worried about this thread though, I was not expecting the response I got as the only other people I have communicated with that have met Ms Beeny have been very complimentary.

Glad I intrigued you!

S
stuart

Post by stuart »

Just a reminder to you TV addicts. Subject to today's terrible news not totally disrupting tonight's schedule - then the final Ground Force is on BBC1 at 8pm.

It is an hour special building an African Garden at the British Museum. Just out of camera will be Gordon Lucas, the Horniman Garden Manager (previously of Crystal Palace Park, who brought his special knowledge of the continent's plants to help plan and exceute the project.

More here:
http://www.foresthill.org.uk/ground_force.html
Anon

Post by Anon »

Deleted by author. No longer relevant
Last edited by Anon on 27 Jan 2020 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
sbeeny

Post by sbeeny »

So what did you think of the show? Personally I enjoyed it and thought the street looked great at the end (not that it was that bad in the beginning).

Was it biased? I did not get that impression. All the residents seemed like a normal bunch. I had reservations about some of the ideas and the colour scheme, but I honestly think it looked great in the end (especially the dark green house at the end of the street).

I mean, I'm sure they would not have shown any bullying tactics, but since I enjoyed the show so much I am especially interested in your thoughts. You have to understand that I am seeing this from a purely 'tv' perspective. I have no reference point for how you saw it over a month when that month is compressed into an hour.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Deleted
Last edited by Anon on 27 Jan 2020 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
sbeeny

Post by sbeeny »

I'm very glad it was not as bad as you expected and it's great to hear that as a street you are harmonious again. As far as I could tell no one on the street was portrayed badly, there was of course an emphasis on a couple of houses but then that's just bound to happen and those people did not seem unreasonable, just worried that they would not like the house they were going to be living in.

And yes, I can see that he design was thought up and you pretty much had to go along with it.

It's a pity you didn't like the end result, but then that's what makes us all individual and we have the right to be so. I think it's a bit much that you lost your garden as I thought it would have been better to have a more random set of gardens anyway.

What's the betting that in 100 years time the street will be as disperate in design as it was before Streets Ahead showed up?

I know it's not much consolation but in my opinion the street really did look good and it was great entertainment. You all looked as if you worked bloody hard, so well done and I hope it all goes well for you.

I'll post up your reply on my site to let my readers (all 3 of them) know your final thoughts, obviously let me know if you want it taken off or whatever.
lefrost

Post by lefrost »

HI, MY DAD USE TO LIVE IN PENGE AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE ROAD THAT THE STREETS AHEAD PROGRAMME TOOK PLACE.
DOES ANYONE KNOW?