The Dolphin - a review

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
bensonby

The Dolphin - a review

Post by bensonby »

I went with my girlfriend to the Dolphin for the very first time last night, I've poked my head around the door before but after hearing good things about it I felt I should do it the justice of a visit.... plus admin was in there and I thought it would be impolite not to pop in.

I must say I was grossly disappointed, but, alas, not wholly surprised. The beer was far too cold - albeit well kept - with an uninspiring choice of 3 beers and they are quite frankly taking the piss with their prices - charging more than lots of pubs up in central London. The seating and decor are completely badly thought through - offering little in the way of comfort or a "lounge" type setting and with no internal walls making the place feel somewhat cavernous.

Please tell me what people like so much about this place... I'm at a loss to see how it beats the Golden Lion in any category whatsoever.... (except maybe the garden which I didn't see..)
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

The garden's great in the summer. I think prices are on a par with Westow House/Patricks/White Hart in CP (but I'm on the wagon now so I may be wrong!).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Reasons to favour the Dolphin are:
1 it's where the beautiful people of Sydenham go.
2 the garden is very good (though you'd have to be around in the summer to appreciate it).
3 it has the best food in Sydenham, although you do pay accordingly for the quality.
4 Shakespeare in the summer!

That said, there is a certain lack of intimacy there - it can seem very big and not particularly cosy. But its very easy to lose a few weekend afternoons drinking in the garden there in the summer. But in a way, comparing the Dolphin to the Golden Lion is like comparing apples and oranges - although pretty much across the road from each other they are miles apart in terms of what they offer the consumer.

For a bit of background, well worth reading the threads from around the time the Dolphin reopened in (I think) December 2006, especially the "middle class pubs" thread.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Ah but bensonby, from all your previous related posts it was clear that you had already decided that the Dolphin is not the place for you. Can you honestly say you went there with an open mind? If so, then I think this just shows that you really are not their target audience and were basically never going to like it. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not your taste!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Thomas wrote:Reasons to favour the Dolphin are:
1 it's where the beautiful people of Sydenham go.
it obviosuly not! - Admin and I were there :P
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Just out of interest, Bensonby what did your girlfriend think of it? Did she prefer The Dolphin or the Golden Lion? (or is she new on the scene?!)

Last time I was in The Golden Lion, I had to wait a good 10 minutes whilst the Landlord served the locals first and there was only one kind of red and 1 kind of white wine, served in Brandy glasses. Next morning, my lips were still stained purple!

From a woman's point of view, there's not many places in South London you can feel safe waiting for friends to turn up at night. We're so lucky to have it in Sydenham, I'd rather pay the premium....
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

natbeuk wrote:Ah but bensonby, from all your previous related posts it was clear that you had already decided that the Dolphin is not the place for you. Can you honestly say you went there with an open mind? If so, then I think this just shows that you really are not their target audience and were basically never going to like it. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not your taste!
Of course I went there with an open mind....I was interested to see the beer (how it was kept &c. - and it was well kept, just too cold).

But what I am asking is, what does the Dolphin offer that people find so appealing. I can understand that it may be the garden - I might go in teh summer to experience it. And specific events are, of course, welcome... But aside from that, on a "normal" day - why would anyoen choose to go in there for a drink? What does it offer?
boon

Re: The Dolphin - a review

Post by boon »

My visit to The Dolphin last night was my first since our disastrous experience there when we were flat-hunting in Sydenham. I swore then that I would never go back, but did make the exception last night for the chance to meet some forumites.

The first time we went, in March I believe it was, it was for lunch in the middle of the day on a weekday, so mostly deserted apart from the odd person reading in the corner or group of mothers with buggies. We ordered the cheese board - it was quite nice, but only came with a very few pieces of bread, so after finishing those we asked for another side order of just bread. We asked again 10 minutes later. And again 10 minutes later. After the fourth request the girl waiting tables stomped back into the kitchen, returned 3 minutes later, and threw a basket of toasted bread onto our table.

Fortunately my gf examined the piece that she picked up before taking a bite, because she found several quite crispy pieces of torn-up insects on it. They had clearly been toasted with the bread, which made the cook's excuse that "they must have flown in the open window in the dining room" after she gave it to us rather ridiculous. We of course refused to pay for anything but our drinks and left, vowing never to return. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it up with the manager.

As you may surmise, I am not a fan of The Dolphin.
Last edited by boon on 14 Nov 2008 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

mummycat wrote:Just out of interest, Bensonby what did your girlfriend think of it? Did she prefer The Dolphin or the Golden Lion? (or is she new on the scene?!)
She much much prefers the Golden Lion.
Last time I was in The Golden Lion, I had to wait a good 10 minutes whilst the Landlord served the locals first
I must say I've never personally experienced that in the GL.
and there was only one kind of red and 1 kind of white wine, served in Brandy glasses. Next morning, my lips were still stained purple!
I can't comment on the types of wine offered to be honest, although I think you're a bit of a girl if you drink wine in a pub anyway... :wink:
From a woman's point of view, there's not many places in South London you can feel safe waiting for friends to turn up at night. We're so lucky to have it in Sydenham, I'd rather pay the premium....
In what respect is the GL unsafe? Unless you happen to be a Welsh private eye?
bensonby

Re: The Dolphin - a review

Post by bensonby »

boon wrote:My visit to The Dolphin last night was my first since our disastrous experience there when we were flat-hunting in Sydenham. I swore then that I would never go back, but did make the exception last night for the chance to meet some forumites.

The first time we went, in March I believe it was, it was for lunch in the middle of the day on a weekday, so mostly deserted apart from the odd person reading in the corner or group of mothers with buggies. We ordered the cheese board - it was quite nice, but only came with a very few pieces of bread, so after finishing those we asked for another side order of just bread. We asked again 10 minutes later. And again 10 minutes later. After the fourth request the girl waiting tables stomped back into the kitchen, returned 3 minutes later, and threw a basket of toasted bread onto our table.

Fortunately my gf examined the piece that she picked up before taking a bite, because she found several quite crispy pieces of torn-up insects on it. They had clearly been toasted with the bread, which made the cook's excuse that "they must have flown in the open window in the dining room" after she gave it to us rather ridiculous. We of course refused to pay for anything but our drinks and left, vowing never to return. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it up with the manager.

As you may surmise, I am not a fan of The Dolphin.
yuk!

(and I'm sorry i never really spoke to you last night Boon)
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

bensonby wrote:
natbeuk wrote:Ah but bensonby, from all your previous related posts it was clear that you had already decided that the Dolphin is not the place for you. Can you honestly say you went there with an open mind? If so, then I think this just shows that you really are not their target audience and were basically never going to like it. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not your taste!
Of course I went there with an open mind....I was interested to see the beer (how it was kept &c. - and it was well kept, just too cold).

But what I am asking is, what does the Dolphin offer that people find so appealing. I can understand that it may be the garden - I might go in teh summer to experience it. And specific events are, of course, welcome... But aside from that, on a "normal" day - why would anyoen choose to go in there for a drink? What does it offer?
That's my point bensonby - if it was to your taste, you wouldn't need to ask that! Mummycat lists some of the reasons to like the Dolphin, but basically it comes down to taste. You like the ambience and amenities of the Golden Lion, others like the ambience and amenities of the Dolphin.

Personally, I find the Dolphin much more "approachable" than a traditional boozer.. it has a better selection of wine, which is my drink of choice.. it has better food... I prefer the decor...

All I'm saying is you don't have to understand it - you just have to accept that some people have different taste to you. And unless someone's forcing you to go somewhere that's their taste and not yours, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! :)
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Well said!

this really is a good thread - within 20 mins you've had 5 posts!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

natbeuk wrote:
bensonby wrote:

That's my point bensonby - if it was to your taste, you wouldn't need to ask that! Mummycat lists some of the reasons to like the Dolphin, but basically it comes down to taste. You like the ambience and amenities of the Golden Lion, others like the ambience and amenities of the Dolphin.

Personally, I find the Dolphin much more "approachable" than a traditional boozer.. it has a better selection of wine, which is my drink of choice.. it has better food... I prefer the decor...

All I'm saying is you don't have to understand it - you just have to accept that some people have different taste to you. And unless someone's forcing you to go somewhere that's their taste and not yours, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! :)

I appreciate that, but I'm asking (not criticising) what specifically makes it "approachable" or appealing? I can point to tangible characteristics of a decent pub - examples being cosy intimate settings, fireplaces, warm colour schemes, comfortable chairs, decent prices and selections of drinks &c. (the GL is decent, but it is by no means anything like my favourite pub in the world).

And why on earth would anyone drink wine in a pub!??! You're such a girl!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Bensonby - when I meet my (girl)friends there we buy a bottle of wine and SHARE it together while we TALK to each other. Then we get another one...

Why are you such a BLOKE? :lol:

(sorry, I'm off on the school run - can't come back to you until later!)
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Okay, let me try to think of some tangibles, but please bear in mind that whether one person does or doesn't like something is only partly down to tangibles - human beings form opinions based on many other factors that can't be so easily defined!

- I like the colour scheme
- I like the decor, particularly the floors
- I like the bar layout/decor
- I like the selection of wine
- I like the fact that I am allowed to drink wine in there without anyone acting like I have committed a cardinal sin and should be shut up in my home and not allowed out with a wine glass in my hand! If I can't drink wine in a pub, where exactly should I drink it, particularly if I want to go out with friends who are drinking beer or spirits?? :lol:
- I like that the other patrons are often my age group and a mix of male and female so I feel comfortable there

It's not my favourite pub in the world, I think that it could be cosier and the chairs could be more comfortable, but it is much closer to my taste than any other pub in Sydenham. The Woodman could come close but it is usually too empty for me to feel comfortable....
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

to be fair, I wouldn't be so hostile if they didn't take the piss with their prices so much.
boon

Post by boon »

What do they charge? I didn't pay attention to how much I paid for half a pint of Broadside, just gave the barman a couple of pounds and shoved the change in my pocket.
Donny

Post by Donny »

The Dolphin serves its purpose. Yes its pricey (but I work in Hoxton so cheap in comparison!) It took me a while to warm to it and the service was very slow for the first few months but having lived in Sydenham for almost 5 years its been a much needed addition to the high street. I still pop into the Golden Lion for the odd "pint" but can honestly say I get exactly what I want from the dolphin: good food, decent service and no trouble.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Well said :)

I think it is all comparative really... yes you can get cheaper, but you can also get a LOT more expensive.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

mummycat wrote:when I meet my (girl)friends there we buy a bottle of wine and SHARE it together while we TALK to each other. Then we get another one...
Ah, heaven..... :lol: