any decent pubs? concerned!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
chrissi

any decent pubs? concerned!

Post by chrissi »

I'm hopefully buying a house in Sydenham but I was wondering what the nightlife situation is? Are none of the pubs on the high street worth going to? Are any of the chinese/Indian restaruants ok? Are the only nightlife possiblities a bus or train journey away?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Well, obviously it is entirely subjective, but from my perspective (that of a female, late 20’s, professional type), I wouldn’t go near any of the pubs in Sydenham, sadly.

I’m quite partial to a good local boozer, but there is nothing I would call a good local boozer. I’m must say the Bricklayers Arms probably looks the most inviting of the lot, but I’ve actually never been in.

If we want a drink we wander down to the Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill.
Can’t speak for any of the restaurants really.

Crystal Palace has more pubs and restaurants than you can shake a stick at – we tend to walk up there of an evening (through the park in summer), working up an appetite, then jump on a bus back (due to the idiosyncrasies of the bus network it is much easier to get a bus FROM Crystal Palace than a bus TO Crystal Palace)
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

pubs, unfortunately are not too good in sydenham, but much better in forest hill - bricklayers arms is okay for a local, and the dartmouth arms and question are better still.

for a curry, the gurkha is good on the high street, as are the takeaways (for both curries and chinese, we've tried most of them, and not had a bad one)

as weeble said, crystal palace (upper norwood) is awash with both good restaurants and bars, as is east dulwich, which isnt too far.